• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Ant Journals (Everything Died)

ant journal antdude ants tennesseeants

• Please log in to reply
1106 replies to this topic

#1041 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 9 2021 - 11:44 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

nice journal

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): ★ Camponotus irritans inferior, ★ Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, ★ Nylanderia sp., ★ Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), ★ Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#1042 Offline Canadant - Posted April 10 2021 - 3:10 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Cool video
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#1043 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2021 - 2:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Update: 4/17/21

Formica cf. integra

----------------------

I've been keeping it under wraps (until I knew they were going to do well) for the most part, but I collected a new colony of these wonderful ants about a week ago. Out of 5 queens and several hundred workers, I grabbed 3 queens and 250 or so bio and host workers. The queens have been busy laying a fairly large amount of eggs, and the workers have been taking everything I've given them. 

Formica biophilica

-------------------------

I also grabbed 2 queens and about 100-150 workers from a colony of this species that was nesting under a rock in my yard. They have a good ratio of majors to minors, and the queens both look very healthy and have been laying eggs at a good pace. They've also taken everything I've given them, and for that I am thankful. 

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 17 2021 - 2:35 PM.

• Canadant, Antkeeper01 and Lillyrose like this

#1044 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 4 2021 - 1:26 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Finally an update on the L. americanus duo:

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#1045 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 5/24/21

Solenopsis spp.

---------------------

I recently took a trip to Georgia, during which I passed through several Solenopsis-infested cities (mainly Chattanooga, Murfreesboro and Cleveland, TN). I witnessed several nuptial flights of S. invicta x richteri and grabbed a few queens to use as a food source for my future Neivamyrmex opacithorax. All queens have nice amounts of eggs, and two that I traded some Camponotus queens for have larvae and pupae.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#1046 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 5/25/21

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis | Colony B

-------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the smaller colonies I own, and their fungus has grown immensely in the last week. Their favorite substrate is fresh rose petals, and I even bought an established rose bush to harvest flowers for my colonies... :lol: Here's a gif of Colony B's queen hanging out on the side of the fungus. 

20210520_193031_12983.gif

Edited by TennesseeAnts, May 25 2021 - 6:06 PM.

• AleeGuy, UtahAnts, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

#1047 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Also, I kinda accidentally threw my phone into a river while I was fishing and it died permanently. That's the main reason I haven't been updating the journal, but rest assured, the phone issue is being solved. I'm going to just pay the replacement fee and get a new one here shortly.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#1048 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:14 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Also, I kinda accidentally threw my phone into a river while I was fishing and it died permanently. That's the main reason I haven't been updating the journal, but rest assured, the phone issue is being solved. I'm going to just pay the replacement fee and get a new one here shortly.

lmao nice

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

#1049 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hey, a rose bush sounds a lot nicer way to feed a colony than a nasty, mite and gnat infested dubia roach culture.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1050 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Hey, a rose bush sounds a lot nicer way to feed a colony than a nasty, mite and gnat infested dubia roach culture.

It honestly is! I'd prefer if the roses were native, but our native roses are too small to feed these guys. My largest colony goes through an entire rose a day!

#1051 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 25 2021 - 7:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You need a Rosa carolina like mine. Bonus that the plant’s Latin name sounds like a Mexican telenovela.

Attached Images

• 86CAB902-A62B-44C9-ABB1-D4470E3FCED1.jpeg

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1052 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 25 2021 - 8:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I was actually thinking about getting some of those! What's their growth rate like?

#1053 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2021 - 2:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That plant you’re seeing is maybe seven years old. Their growth rate is pretty fast, plus they’re highly rhizomatous, so they spread a lot via runners. One of my favorite natives.
  • TennesseeAnts and PetsNotPests like this

#1054 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2021 - 4:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

First upload in 5 weeks: 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#1055 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 8 2021 - 6:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Solenopsis invicta video for anyone interested: 

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#1056 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 16 2021 - 10:03 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Update: 7/16/21

Camponotus americanus
----------------------------
The last remaining queen has done inexplicably well. I think she is up to 9 workers now with a bunch of developing brood. After two years of failing with this species, I think I finally got a queen that won't randomly stop producing midway through the first year.

Camponotus chromaiodes
-----------------------------
All 7 of the remaining queens (the rest were sold off for the most part, 3 died of unknown reasons) are doing pretty well so far. The largest colony has 14 workers and a bunch of brood. She's one of the normal lighter variant, which will probably be the one I keep through winter. They've got a few larger workers on the way last I checked. I'm hoping its going to be their first media.

Colobopsis impressa/obliqua
----------------------------------
For the first time in two years I've finally got enough queens to start a colony again. I walked the outside of the house a few nights ago and caught 5 queens of this species, as well as 7 C. obliqua. They're all together, as I and others have had better luck keeping multiple together during founding in a polygynous setting.

Prenolepis imparis
-------------------------
All groups now have brood, with the most advanced being a duo with darkening pupae, larvae and eggs. My least advanced is the 5 queen (formerly 7 queen) group with just a pile of eggs. Will update with pictures once nanitics arrive.

Pheidole bicarinata
--------------------------
I have many of these queens now, ranging from solo queen setups with eggs, larvae and pupae to 20 queen groups with hundreds of eggs. One of my older solo queens from June 29th has several darkening pupae that look about ready to eclose.

Pheidole dentata
-----------------------
Found this queen wandering around my driveway a few mornings ago while hunting Ph. tysoni queens (of which I got 48). I saw her and without even looking I tossed her in with the others. Only later would I realize I snagged my first Ph. dentata queen of the year. I have her in a tube currently and she's settled down nicely. Will update when something changes.

That's it for now, but I will be sure to give a full update tomorrow after I check the rest of my ants!

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 16 2021 - 10:04 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#1057 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2021 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You guys just a bit south of me find Pheidole like nothing!!! On the other hand, I literally saw five gazillion Colobopsis queens this year.
  • TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and Antkeeper01 like this

#1058 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 17 2021 - 7:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

You guys just a bit south of me find Pheidole like nothing!!! On the other hand, I literally saw five gazillion Colobopsis queens this year.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, lol.

#1059 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 17 2021 - 5:51 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 7/17/21

While I work on a bigger update complete with macro pics of each queen, take some Pheidole!

Pheidole dentata

-----------------------

I went anting around the property this afternoon and after flipping some rocks got two founding Ph. dentata queens. One has a ball of eggs and small larvae and the other has a small batch of eggs, some medium larvae and a few pupae. I'm really excited to keep these gals again. They're a decent size, with 7mm queens and 3.5-4mm majors. Here's a pic of one of the queens after capture: 

large.jpg?1626551382

Pheidole tysoni

---------------------

My 100 worker colony has been moved into a Type 3 Mini Hearth in advance of their big population explosion. They've got hundreds of pupae and are super hungry all the time. Also, here's a picture of my 47 queen group. They've got several hundred eggs, obviously, and they'll be at maturity by the time their second generation ecloses at this rate... :lol:

large.jpg?1626551441

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#1060 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 18 2021 - 6:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 7/18/21

Pheidole pilifera

----------------------

With the helpful guidance of Amatty76, I've managed to collect three Ph. pilifera queens today alone. Two alates and one dealate which I dug out of a founding chamber. Tomorrow I'll head back out after the rain stops and try to snag some more. I'm really excited to start up some colonies!

large.jpg?1626657998

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, antdude, ants, tennesseeants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users