• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dual Queen ID Request, Fort Stockton, TX 5/28/19

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted May 28 2019 - 6:12 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Species 1:

Location of Collection: Desert Floor of Fort Stockton

Date of Collection: 5/25/19

Habitat: Shrubby Desert

Length: 5mm
Coloration: Red orange head and thorax. Upper left thorax is redish brown, while the remainder is red orange. Orange mandibles. Antenae start out orange and fade to black about half way. Legs start out redish brown and fades to orange past the femur. Abdomen is translucent dark yellow with redish brown stripes that do not go all the way down the abdomen.
Distinguishing Characteristics: One node.
Anything Else Destinctive: Colonies make long trails to nectar bearing plants or between nest sites on the desert floor. Very quick to find food. Sparatic and quick movements observed among workers. Queens are very quick runners as well.
Nest Description: Small hole in the ground. No scattered dirt or fresh dirt. Just a simple hole about 5mm in diameter.

Nuptial Flight Time: Not exactly sure, but I would assume May - July.
Pictures of Queen:

z741aw0.jpg

8EJCZbz.jpg

DT05gbt.jpg

M4F9i6z.jpg

Species 2:

Location of Collection: Desert Floor of Fort Stockton

Date of Collection: 5/25/19

Habitat: Shrubby Desert

Length: 5.5mm
Coloration: Black head and antenae. Orange mandibles. Midthorax is redish brown all the way down and the remainder of the thorax is black. Black femurs with the remainder of the leg fading to orange. Dark yellow abdomen with redish brown stripes that do not go all the way down the abdomen.
Distinguishing Characteristics: One node. Body elongate.
Anything Else Destinctive: No workers observed. Two queens were found roaming the desert floor and one was captured. 
Nest Description: N/A

Nuptial Flight Time: Not exactly sure, but I would assume May - July.
Pictures of Queen:

QqCH7Qq.jpg

KabwnQH.jpg

• VoidElecent likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 28 2019 - 6:58 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Your first queen reminds me of Dorymyrmex bureni, but at 5 millimeters it is more likely to be Forelius mcooki, if not a similar species. At first glance, I assumed your second queen was either Solenopsis or Monomorium, but her oddly blunt gaster and apparent lack of a second petiole makes me think she is also dolichoderine; perhaps Forelius as well.

Edited by VoidElecent, May 28 2019 - 6:59 PM.

• Aaron567 likes this

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted May 28 2019 - 7:06 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Your first queen reminds me of Dorymyrmex bureni, but at 5 millimeters it is more likely to be Forelius mcooki, if not a similar species. At first glance, I assumed your second queen was either Solenopsis or Monomorium, but her oddly blunt gaster and apparent lack of a second petiole makes me think she is also dolichoderine; perhaps Forelius as well.

I think you nailed the first one. The second one definitely only has one node. I saw workers there that *could* belong to the second queens species. They were a similar size to the 1st species workers but all black. Didn’t see many of them.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 12 2021 - 9:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I know this is a very old post, but Id like to suggest an ID for the second queen, Dorymyrmex lipan.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users