• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Hypoponera sp. Journal (DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2019 - 2:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
That would make sense, and Antwiki indicates that, along with D. Insanus.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 9:24 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

maybe. I know there are orange variations along with the usual black.

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 11:22 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I am going to make a Hypoponera thread where everyone can have at it. I like the talk on this journal, but I would like it to be filled with colony documenting, not discussion on the species. This is not criticism, but I think that this discussion should be on a different subform.

Edited by NickAnter, May 25 2019 - 1:04 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I found another queen!!! It was under a piece of concrete, in a shaded area. I had to run a half a mile with her in a tissue, in my hand to get her home. Luckily, I did not get stung. I did what you said, ponerinecat, and made a tunnel for her. It took her two minutes to find the tunnel, and when she did, she went right in. Hopefully this one will not drown herself.

#25 Offline Acutus - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:24 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Congrats!!! Good Luck with this one!! :D 

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 1:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Thanks!
  • Acutus likes this

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 2:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, I think it is a queen, because I went back to that area, and found what I thought was a queen, but was a worker, thin thorax. Hopefully what I brought home is a queen. I also put in a springtail.

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 2:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

dig around the sides and 1 centimeter down. you may find more.

also, you can share any thoughts on my journal/study on my colony of H. opacior

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 3:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Around the sides of what? The concrete thing? All around that area has workers and that price of concrete was three inches by three inches, and I did dig around it after I flipped it over to check for workers and none came similar to how I found the worker later, I thought it was a queen but, it did not have a bulky enough thorax, yet there were no more workers.

Edited by NickAnter, May 25 2019 - 3:03 PM.

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 3:06 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

that's really unusual. hypoponera tend to forage near their nest and like to nest closely under neath solid objects.

#31 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 3:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I hope that I did not let go an ergatoid queen then, as it was rather long. The worker/ergatoid was longer than any argentine ant, so I wonder if they were Brachyponera, or just very large Hypoponera.

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 7:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
That suspected ergatoid queen that I let go, well, I went back and found it in the exact same place and kept it. Hopefully she is fertile along with the other one.

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 26 2019 - 6:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, no obvious deaths so far, woohoo!

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 26 2019 - 10:02 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Oh, and the suspected ergatoid queens, she was found next to a rotting stake in the ground

#35 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 26 2019 - 12:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

hypoponera tend to be the same or slightly larger than linepithma

#36 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 26 2019 - 12:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Oh.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 27 2019 - 7:14 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I put in some small subterranean, half dead, termites for them in hopes that I will not have to feed them in a while. Hopefully they enjoy these. Queen 1 has moved out of the tunnel, an is living underneath a leaf. Queen 2 is in the tunnel I made for her, yesterday.  For some reason this post did not go through, and I did not realize. Anyway, they both ate from their termites, and are both alive. Woohoo, a new record:two days! :lol:

#38 Offline Acutus - Posted May 27 2019 - 7:55 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

One day at a time! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 2:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Still alive, one I cannot seem to find, however.

#40 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 3:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The one that I could not find, died.  Now I can't find the other one, though! :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users