• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

**ON HOLD** Ferox's Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Journal (Updated 4/23/2021)

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Drew's signature.
  • Acutus likes this

#62 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 2 2019 - 4:21 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I finally ordered the new containers for the small colony, and they should get here between June 8th and 14th. I just hope it gets here before the fungus gets really big, as I would prefer not to scoop the fungus out with fear of destroying or even killing it. If the colony doesn't move in within a few hours though, I will have to scoop out the fungus, as there is another colony awaiting their new nest, a large colony of Cyphomyrmex rimosus, another fungus farmer. I just hope the ants don't get disturbed too much. As for the other colony, they're doing a lot better than I thought! I decided to lift up the tank to see if I could spot anything, and there it was, the fungus, and it's looking really, really good! It's about two inches in all directions. I didn't see the queen, but she's there somewhere. I'll check on the chamber occasionally, but not too much as I don't want to disturb them too much. I'm expecting them to produce alates this summer if all goes well, but I'll have to see.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#63 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 2 2019 - 4:39 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I just thought of something. I can't stand not seeing my large colony of Trachymyrmex in full clarity, so instead of using both containers for my small Trachy colony, one for nest and one for outworld, I'm going to excavate the large colony and keep them in one of the containers, that way I can see them better. I was not ready to keep ants in a naturalistic setup, especially one like this. :facepalm:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#64 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 4:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've moved my larger colony into a temporary setup. They seem to like the tube better than the actual nest area, and since the tube is translucent, I can't see them very well. There are still a few ants in the nest though, tending to the fungus, making sure it's well cared for and taken care of. I got the fungus out in two pieces, and with luck, they'l settle in and fix up their fungus. I'll be giving them some new rose petals tonight.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#65 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 5 2019 - 5:34 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I got the large colony their new nest! It's HUGE! I kept the smaller colony in their current nest as they seem to like it very much, and the colony is way too small to move into such an enormous nest, but then again, so is my largest colony, but they can grow up their fungus. They still got about 150 workers, and they're looking good so far. Here are some pictures of the nests...

IMG 6048[1]
My Trachymyrmex desk setup
IMG 6055[1]
The larger formicariums nesting area
IMG 6054[1]
The larger formicariums outworld with some freshly picked rose petals
IMG 6046[1]
The fungus garden, nicely lit
IMG 6047[1]
A close up of the fungus garden
IMG 6056[1]
The hygrometer at 90% humidity; Trachymyrmex septentrionalis nests must be kept at 75% humidity or above in order for the fungus to grow properly
IMG 6052[1]
The smaller nest
IMG 6053[1]
The smaller formicariums outworld
IMG 6049[1]
The nest
IMG 6051[1]
A close up of the fungus
IMG 6050[1]

The queen with the fungus

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Acutus like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#66 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:30 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The larger colony has decided that the outworld was a more suitable home for them, and have moved the fungus to it overnight. They have made mounds at two separate locations at opposite ends of the outworld. The good news, they burrowed right up against the glass! I actually prefer this more, as I can see their natural behaviors both inside and outside of the nest. On one hand, I can see them build their mounds and prepare for nuptial flight (whenever that happens), and on the other hand I can see them farming their fungus and see what they do with fungus substrate once it's brought into the nest. It's really quite a beautiful prospect to witness. My other colony is doing quite well too! Their fungus seems to get bigger with every passing day, and I suspect that within the next few weeks, the fungus will take up the entire setup! I am really glad that these colonies are doing very well, and I have very high hopes for the future of these ants.  (y)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#67 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:09 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The smaller colony was very busy last night! Last night, I threw in a fresh rose petal for them to feed their fungus, and yeah, they definitely loved it! About a third of their fungus is covered in rose petals, and they're still processing a bunch of it. I'm thinking that by tonight, the rose petal pieces in the fungus will have been completely consumed by the fungus. I absolutely adore these ants, and I could spend hours upon hours staring at them. Their fungus actually isn't even touching the ground anymore. The ants have anchored it to the side of the nest box, which is definitely pretty cool. I also can no longer see the eggs, which is normal as it's concealed in the fungus. New workers should be eclosing in about a month or so. Brood production will definitely speed up as the fungus gets larger. So far, there still hasn't been a single worker death, and the colony seems very stable at around 40 or so workers. They have definitely calmed down quite a bit since their capture, and they are no longer photophobic. I can shine a light on them and they will just keep on doing their thing, allowing me to see what the colony does on a daily basis. I cannot stress how incredible they are to watch. I also noticed how big they are when I compared them to my Cyphomyrmex rimosus colony, which is a bigger colony, but the ants are significantly smaller, less than half the size. I also love their polymorphism. Once again, I love these ants!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#68 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted July 18 2019 - 6:43 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Both colonies are doing great! I've even seen some new workers starting to appear! The fungus gardens have remained relatively unchanged and rather small, but it's summer so that's to be expected. I've had these colonies for a while now, and they're both looking real good.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#69 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:37 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Update this is a interesting topic and what happened to them?

#70 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:44 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Sadly, they died due to me not hydrating the nest while I was away on vacation in Michigan. :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#71 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:45 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
That is terrible

#72 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 26 2019 - 6:04 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

That is terrible

It really is. I miss those little guys.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#73 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 27 2019 - 2:48 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Sadly, they died due to me not hydrating the nest while I was away on vacation in Michigan. :(
why didn’t you tell me u were here lol?!?!?!

Sucks that they died though.

Edited by Kaelwizard, October 27 2019 - 2:49 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#74 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 29 2019 - 1:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

this helps a lot, I'm currently looking for cyphomyrmex. the only nest I've found is under a slab of pavement so excavation is a no go.

#75 Offline aznphenom - Posted January 14 2021 - 1:16 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Where should I find these?!

They are in Tenn. Trachy are are almost in like 1/4 of the US. They just happen to nest in very specific soil. Sand. I just discovered a spot by my house. It is literally like beach sand in the middle of the woods. Not big either. Area is probably like 40x40 yards. 

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#76 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 15 2021 - 7:01 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

They are in Tenn. Trachy are are almost in like 1/4 of the US. They just happen to nest in very specific soil. Sand. I just discovered a spot by my house. It is literally like beach sand in the middle of the woods. Not big either. Area is probably like 40x40 yards. 

Actually, I've found out that their soil selection isn't as narrow as most people think. They really nest in anything at least moderately dry and well-drained. I've found them in sand, clay, regular soil, all sorts of stuff. There's a pretty large population at my new house, which is right beside a large lake (Lake Murray) and has mostly humus but also red clay in certain areas. There's actually no sand there. But yeah, you can mostly find them in forest clearings, but I've found them in dense forests before. Honestly, just look anywhere that has well-drained soil.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#77 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 15 2021 - 11:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yeah, thanks, but I know, lol. That was nearly two years ago. My Attine knowledge has expanded immensely.

On a side note, in Spring of 2020 I found a huge population next to a local river, only 2.3 miles away from my house. Before that, in January of 2020, I got a nice colony of about 150 workers or so, and kept them going until July/August when the queen died.

#78 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:08 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Finally restarting this thread after 2 years! I'm trying out founding Trachymyrmex queens, as I've never done it before. I managed to find a claustral cell earlier this month under a rock near the base of a large oak tree (colonies are almost always associated with oaks) in Little Mountain, a small town near my house. The soil was straight red clay. In the chamber was a single queen and a bit of fungus suspended from a root. Another queen I found I'm not too sure about. She may be one of those weird "worker queens" Trachymyrmex are occasionally known to have, as she was right next to a small colony in my yard (my yard contains about 35 colonies, those 35 being only the ones I've found so far). She's actually covered in pollen, which makes her look pretty distinctive. I've had to give her some fungus from a mature colony, as you can't really expect a queen found in April (3 months before flights start) to be carrying around a fungus pellet. The queens both seem to be doing okay at the moment, and I've given them both some oak catkins to use for their fungus, which one has accepted so far. I'll try and keep you all updated on their progress.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#79 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:17 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Oh snap. Definitely will be following. I am gonna go out and search for trachy when the next warm week is expected. Do you know the condition and time and month they fly?

• ANTdrew likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#80 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 16 2021 - 1:50 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Oh snap. Definitely will be following. I am gonna go out and search for trachy when the next warm week is expected. Do you know the condition and time and month they fly?

In my experience, they fly in mid-late summer, usually around noon. Flights occur a day or two after a rain pushes through. Sexual brood is in the larval stage at this time of year, at least in the south.

• TennesseeAnts and ZTYguy like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users