• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

StopSpazzing's Projects - Exotic Barriers to Prevent Escaping

electric fence no escaping barrier

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 14 2019 - 3:23 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Had several other ideas related to different barriers that may work out for different species in different situations:

Electric Fence:

Instead of having to apply a barrier to prevent escape, a simple electrified fence can be applied with low voltage via a battery, etc would be used. Going to test voltages and amps when I get my bench power supply. I expect species would have different requirements, the point is to not kill the ant but deter or "knock out" so as to safely prevent escape.

Medieval Moat:

Using induction heating (or other means), at around ~100C or ~220F water boils, which would instantly FRY any ant attempting to cross, this would be an effect barrier that also provides moisture. If moisture isn't need, other liquids can be used such as oil (mineral, vegetable, olive, etc) and this would also have the benefit to make an awesome treat :D

• Zeiss and Subverted like this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 14 2019 - 6:18 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
These ideas mostly might be a death trap, unless the colony is large, hundreds of workers could die. Just go with fluon, and keep things simple in my opinion.

#3 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 14 2019 - 6:25 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

These ideas mostly might be a death trap, unless the colony is large, hundreds of workers could die. Just go with fluon, and keep things simple in my opinion.

For containment purposes, if someone was keeping an aggressive escape artist ant species as an example, one may not care about potential death of a few ants over the ability for the species to escape, or these could be used as a backup barrier as a final resort if you will. Personally, the electric fence option has a potential to deter not kill if set up properly.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 14 2019 - 6:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Had several other ideas related to different barriers that may work out for different species in different situations:

Electric Fence:

Instead of having to apply a barrier to prevent escape, a simple electrified fence can be applied with low voltage via a battery, etc would be used. Going to test voltages and amps when I get my bench power supply. I expect species would have different requirements, the point is to not kill the ant but deter or "knock out" so as to safely prevent escape.

Medieval Moat:

Using induction heating (or other means), at around ~100C or ~220F water boils, which would instantly FRY any ant attempting to cross, this would be an effect barrier that also provides moisture. If moisture isn't need, other liquids can be used such as oil (mineral, vegetable, olive, etc) and this would also have the benefit to make an awesome treat :D

Would work amazingly for pinkomyrmex floyderus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electric fence, no escaping, barrier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users