• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Pacfic dampwood termites

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BobLee - Posted May 12 2019 - 1:13 PM

BobLee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I went out to find termites yesterday and found a small colony of these guys.  :)

I got about 30-50 workers, a single tiny solider (That I accidentally dropped...  :facepalm: ) and a queen! The queen's abdomen was already expanding but the size of the colony isn't really to scale with the queen's size... She is about twice as long as a normal worker and I expected there to be much more termites. So I assumed that this small colony branched off a bigger colony with a secondary reproductive.

They are now currently in a bucket, with quite some wood I collected from the log they were in, I'm going to go back tomorrow to grab some more wood and rehouse them into a clear plastic box so I can care for them better.

As far as my knowledge goes, these guys should live just fine eating decaying wood, and the more rotten the wood the more nitrogen right? Also going to put some pill bugs in there because I found them sharing a log, hopefully the pill bugs will take care of any mold problem that might occur in the furture. I don't have a spring tail colony yet.  :(

• FSTP and Nare like this

#2 Offline Nare - Posted May 12 2019 - 2:09 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Lc3's the expert on these guys, but your setups sounds like it should work. Don't think the pillbugs are necissary, but they probably won't hurt. Got any pics of the colony?

• dermy likes this

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted May 12 2019 - 5:07 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I have a nearly 4 year old colony of these guys, there great. easy to take care of and fun to watch. Looking forawrd to pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users