• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus nearcticus Journal (Updated 2/11/21)

camponotus camponotusnearcticus nearcticus myrmentoma

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 6 2019 - 3:03 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus nearcticus

Camponotus nearcticus is a species in the subgenus Myrmentoma that is one of the most widespread ants in North America, found in southern Canada and nearly every US state. Regional color variation is very noticeable in them, as southeastern populations are completely black while specimens found in the northeast or midwest may have a significant amount of red on them.

On May 1, 2019 at around 9:00 PM I found a single Camponotus nearcticus queen among a few other smaller Myrmentoma queens. Today (May 6) she just shed her wings and laid her first egg. I concluded that she is C. nearcticus rather than C. caryae based on the fact that she largely lacks erect hairs on the malar parts of her head and clypeus. C. caryae are also much rarer than nearcticus are in most of the southeastern US.

May 1, 2019

h8BsgGk.jpg

May 6, 2019

jmjDSEu.jpg

zgXnoZ3.jpg

iEM86iH.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, February 11 2021 - 9:15 PM.

• VoidElecent, AntsMaryland, Karma and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 6 2019 - 7:21 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Amazing photos!

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 15 2019 - 3:24 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 15, 2019

The first nanitic eclosed today. Soon there will be an additional three.

CP7iBRX.jpg

SN7CjAA.jpg

VIBuzHS.jpg

xyPOQDG.jpg

• NickAnter and Acutus like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Update?

The last colony died but I currently have a single queen with a pupa. I caught her on March 30.

w77rjrU.jpg

Dnklkic.jpg

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 1 2020 - 11:28 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

November 1, 2020

The queen in my last post went on to grow a colony of around 30 workers at its maximum point, but since then quite a few workers have died. For a while I wasn't feeding them much so that probably has something to do with it. Anyway, I put this colony into diapause a couple weeks ago, starting at 65 degrees F (18.3C), and now they're at 60 degrees. 

The queen still has a little piece of wing left, and there are something like 14 workers. You can see their little clump of small larvae that are in diapause.

kN5M2kh.jpg

ck0Wx62.jpg

XTD0W7g.jpg

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 11 2021 - 9:22 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

February 11, 2021

Last month I took this colony out of diapause. It was a pretty slow start, because most of the larvae they had through diapause died and they only had 3 left. They also took a long time to start growing for whatever reason. The queen has laid a surprising number of eggs since then, though. They're trying to make up for when I starved them last year and let their colony dwindle down to almost nothing, but I'm glad they're looking so great now. There are 13 workers.

The single pupa that you can see is from one of the three larvae that made it through the whole diapause.

FhFRawv.jpg

poVwJBJ.jpg

eHOpAst.jpg

1LeJKkf.jpg

• Karma, CheetoLord02, KitsAntVa and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotusnearcticus, nearcticus, myrmentoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users