• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Camponotus Species Journal

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-8-2020

I'm happy to report that on May 3rd, 2020, I once again became a Camponotus keeper. After many weeks of below average and rainy weather, it finally hit 78 degrees in Alexandria with calm winds and high humidity. I knew I needed to be on the lookout, so I decided grilling our dinner outside was a great way to do this. Sure enough, Camponotus queens started landing near me around 6:00pm. Over the course of an hour, I managed to find one C. chromaiodes, one C. subbarbatus, and one C. nearcticus. Several alates flew off before I could snag them.

After dinner, I went out walking near a railroad, but found nothing. Once I got home, though, I found a dealate C. chromaiodes and a dealate C. subbarbatus. My brother also managed to find me C. chromaiodes queen at the Washington Sailing Marina! I put up all the queens in test tubes with a drop of Sunburst and am hoping for the best. I'm most excited about raising some micro-Camponotus, and I promise not to sell all my queens this year!

• brian, FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#82 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted May 8 2020 - 7:35 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Welcome back! Also, love to see the hand shots again :P

• ANTdrew likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#83 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve actually done a bit of hand modeling to supplement my modest teacher salary.
  • FeedTheAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#84 Offline Canadant - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:30 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Beautiful ants.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#85 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 11:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I’ve actually done a bit of hand modeling to supplement my modest teacher salary.

This is b.s. by the way.
  • FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#86 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 1:46 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

This is b.s. by the way.

I do piano videos on YouTube, and people have complimented my hands.... I thought it was weird, but now I kinda get it... I do have nice hands :blush:

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#87 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2020 - 6:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Mini-Update 5-11-2020

I did my weekly check on the new queens I found on 5/4, and three of the five have eggs already. Both C. chromaiodes have shed their wings and have 5-6 eggs. One of the C. subbarbatus also has two eggs. The C. nearcticus still has her wings and no eggs, and one of the C. subbarbatus still has no eggs. I have all these queens in a shoebox on top of a wineglass holder hanging from my kitchen ceiling.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 11 2020 - 6:54 AM.

• AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this

#88 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 11 2020 - 7:02 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I find Camponotus are very quick to lay.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#89 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2020 - 7:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-22-2020

My two C. chromaiodes and the two C. subbarbatus queens found on 5/4 have nice egg piles now, and I think I can spot a few tiny larvae. The C. nearcticus queen still has done nothing and has no removed her wings, so I'm thinking she may be a dud. No pictures yet because I usually don't photograph founding queens to avoid disturbing them. Maybe I'll try to get some quick ones during next check up.

I'm hoping for more Camponotus flights once we get through this cold, rainy stretch we've been in.

• AnthonyP163 and TennesseeAnts like this

#90 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2020 - 4:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-26-2020

The one big change to report is that my C. nearcticus queen shed one of her wings and laid a small batch of eggs, so things are looking up for her. That means all four of the queens have egg piles now and are doing well.

I'm still hoping to find some of the elusive and much coveted C. castaneus queens!

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#91 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 26 2020 - 4:50 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Yes castaneus are nice. the great thing is that they are common in my backyard!   :)

Edited by Antkid12, May 26 2020 - 4:50 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#92 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2020 - 5:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Bruh, hook me up! I can trade you Crematogaster when I get some.

#93 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:05 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

sure, when I find some.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#94 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 6:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-3-2020

My five new Camponotus queens continue to do well in their shoebox incubator. Both of the C. chromaiodes and both of the C. subbarbatus queens now have larvae. I really love the coloration on the C. subbarbatus queens. It's like tiger stripes or something. They're also pretty physogastric.

Here is one of the new C. chromaiodes queens with larvae:

• brian, FeedTheAnts and AntsDakota like this

#95 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 3 2020 - 6:31 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Wow, nice subbarbatus queen! 

Edited by Antkid12, June 3 2020 - 6:31 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#96 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

If the subbarbatus queen gets workers then you've done well. The subgenus Myrmentoma is such a difficult one to have success with. Do you still have a nearcticus queen? If so, how is she doing?

Edited by FeedTheAnts, June 3 2020 - 7:20 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#97 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, I still have the C. nearcticus in the same shoebox. She still has a few eggs, but they are kind of scattered about. I'm not that confident that she is mated.

I really hope to be successful with at least one of these subbarbatus girls. Any clue if or when C. castaneus are going to fly?

#98 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:25 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Yes, I still have the C. nearcticus in the same shoebox. She still has a few eggs, but they are kind of scattered about. I'm not that confident that she is mated.

I really hope to be successful with at least one of these subbarbatus girls. Any clue if or when C. castaneus are going to fly?

My nearcticus isn't mated either, She still has her wings and she didn't lay anything.  :*(

#99 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:39 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

subbs are some of my fave US Camponotus

• ANTdrew likes this

#100 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My nearcticus isn't mated either, She still has her wings and she didn't lay anything. :*(
Sorry, dude. What’s up with the castaneus in your yard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users