• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I put two Lasius queens together? Please Answer quickly!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Puttng TWO Lasius Queens toegther? Please answer quickly! (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I separate them?

1. No! I should no! (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Yes! I should! (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline William. T - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:05 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Things are really looking bad. My queens are dying one by one, with the survivors having shrunken gasters. I have three queens left from the whole batch. The queens lay a lot of eggs, but the egg piles keep dwindling. In a last ditch effort, I put two queens together. They were collected at the same flight, and look exactly alike, except one has a slightly larger gaster and doesn't have eggs. The smaller gastered one has eggs. I put them together for a few minutes with no adverse effects. The introduced queen is cleaning herself and is even tending the brood. IS this a correct decision?

Please put why this is a good/bad decision.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:29 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

If they're getting along, then I say go for it!

BTW you might want to feed them a bit of honey or something, just to get there energy up.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted March 5 2015 - 11:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Most Lasius will only have one queen in the end.

I tend to feed all my queens, even if they are semi-calustral.  A drop of hummingbird nectar onto a tinfoil food "bowl" twice a week.  Some queens accept dead flightless fruit flies.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 5 2015 - 12:27 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

From my experience Lasius sp. queens don't get along very good. I vote would say no. :)

#5 Offline William. T - Posted March 5 2015 - 1:36 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Update: The queens are still not killing each other. The brood, which was once all over the place, is now in a neat pile. Say, don't even monogyne queens even congregate in the beginning to give the colony a boost and then the weaker queen is killed?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted March 5 2015 - 2:39 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Say, don't even monogyne queens even congregate in the beginning to give the colony a boost and then the weaker queen is killed?

I see this commonly in Lasius.  They get along to start with but around the time the first workers eclose or shortly after queens start dieing.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 5 2015 - 3:33 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It depends. When they get workers, one will die. if you are okay with that, instead of having two colonies, then keep them together.

#8 Offline William. T - Posted March 5 2015 - 8:02 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

The queens seem to get along now...Really, if it wasn't for the fact the queens kept on dying, I wouldn't have tried this method. I will be giving them some honey tomorrow.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users