• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solids vs liquids (Sugars)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 23 2013 - 11:08 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've been using liquid honey, jam etc to feed my ants and I hate it because the ants always make a huge mess of it and there is always the chance of drowning. If I feed solid foods, like apple bits it's a lot cleaner however sometimes the ants don't bring it to the end of the test tube and keep it near their larvae and I can't get it out and it molds.

If I feed them sugar crystals instead (like the big rock sugar), will this solve my problems.

I am completely open to any ulterior feeding method at this point. I tried the sugar water doused in cotton ball but I find it tends to dry out very fast and seems slightly wasteful of both cotton and sugars (not that it's hugely wasteful but still more trouble than I would like).

#2 Offline wook - Posted September 23 2013 - 11:42 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Merc, big rock crystals of sugars are somehow glued with something like flour or something. Once I wrapped it inside of cotton which I drench. After few hours (in warm conditions) it produced such smell and it took few days to clean.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#3 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted September 24 2013 - 5:17 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO
My colonies of smaller species I've had similar troubles with. I would just abstain from feeding them sugars while they are still in test tubes. You can continue when they are in more permanent homes. There seems to be slightly higher worker mortality when sugar is unavailable, but the colonies still grow well. Good luck!
Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted September 24 2013 - 6:49 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If my ants are in larger test tubes, I will take some 1/4" tubing and cut off a 3/4" section.  Stuff the back with clay and load it with honey water/food and put a bit of cotton in the front.  Just like a mini test tube feeder.

This way there is no drowning risk.  I often anchor the clay end in the cotton plug so it doesn't go anywhere and is easy to remove to clean or refill.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline nepenthes - Posted September 24 2013 - 6:56 AM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

The method I use for sugars is cutting off one end of a Q-tip and dab a couple times. That way their isn't one glob, and I try to make sure the drops aren't much bigger than workers.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 24 2013 - 7:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If my ants are in larger test tubes, I will take some 1/4" tubing and cut off a 3/4" section.  Stuff the back with clay and load it with honey water/food and put a bit of cotton in the front.  Just like a mini test tube feeder.

This way there is no drowning risk.  I often anchor the clay end in the cotton plug so it doesn't go anywhere and is easy to remove to clean or refill.

That's a good idea. I do that with water by using really small test tubes, but I never thought about putting food in them.

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 24 2013 - 2:26 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
I like your idea Crystals. How long does it usually last before you have to clean it?

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted September 25 2013 - 6:29 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

It is only 3/4" long and very narrow.  You don't get much in.  Between the ants and evaporation it only lasts about a week.  Then I clean it. (Ok, I just garbage that little piece of tubing and get a new one).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#9 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 25 2013 - 1:50 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

A week is a good length of time. I'm definitely going to try this feeding method. I'm going through test tube moves far too fast and I don't like it because I feel like all that moving is stressing out the brood.

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 29 2013 - 4:04 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

CRYSTALS YOU ARE A HERO! This method is so convenient and clean! No fuss at all and I can see this as my permanent method of feeding. It's great because when I give colonies to people, they already come prepared with aprox. a weeks worth of feeding (apart from protein, but sugars are really the staple).

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted September 29 2013 - 5:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I am just lazy.  ;)    I don't like lots of maintenance, but had a tough time convincing my queens to eat.

Like my director once said: "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person. They will find an easier way to do it."   (Hlade's Law)

Maybe that was why she gave me that software program.  No one else could get it to work.  :huh:

My Colonies

#12 Offline Myrmecologeek - Posted October 24 2013 - 12:49 AM

Myrmecologeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

That was genius Crystals! :D I had a similar solution but I might try yours instead. I used to saturate a piece of cotton with sugar/honey water and put it in a pill blister pack. I change it in about a week as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users