• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I need a link for blue grass seeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SurfingTangents - Posted November 19 2019 - 2:59 PM

SurfingTangents

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFlorida, Port Saint Lucie
Anyone have good source for safe Kentucky blue grass seeds? I need a reliable supplier for my pogonomyrmex badius.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2019 - 6:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I like Botanical Interests for untreated seeds in general. I’ve never ordered Kentucky blue grass from them, but they have all kinds of seeds your ants would love. Kentucky blue is not actually native. I bet they would like native grass seeds like little bluestem grass.
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 21 2019 - 1:48 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Kentucky blue is not actually native. I bet they would like native grass seeds like little bluestem grass.
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/

Not to take a dookie on you :P , but I've tried Kentucky bluegrass on Pogonomyrmex badius. They loved them. Wanted them more than anything else. Sunflower, chia, corn, etc. The seed is almost the perfect size, shape and texture for ants.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 21 2019 - 3:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve never kept any seed gatherers, so I wouldn’t know. My point was that company may not sell Kentucky Bluegrass seed, but they have other grass seeds. It’s worth experimenting to see if they benefit from eating the native seeds they coevolved with.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users