• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Philippine Ant Identfication

philippines black ant black ants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jaspergeli - Posted December 20 2018 - 2:29 AM

jaspergeli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I live in Rizal, Philippines. What do you call those black ants that live underground? They found foraging on the ground. They're like 1 cm in length. They're always found singly when foraging and enter in random holes back to their colony.

Edited by jaspergeli, December 20 2018 - 2:31 AM.

#2 Offline Leo - Posted December 20 2018 - 2:56 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

From your description, these ants are ranging from odontoponera, diacamma, odontomachus, large camponotus, polyrachis, harpegnathos, pachycondyla, ectomomyrmex and the list goes on and on and on. Please, pictures, accurate size and a little more detail. "black ants that live underground" won't cut it. Basically every terrestrial black ant larger than 0.7cm fits your description. 

• ctantkeeper and AntsBC like this

#3 Offline kingz2015 - Posted December 20 2018 - 6:18 PM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
It's not very common for large camponotus species to be found underground. But their description isn't the greatest, even though I think it may be a tetramorium or lasius niger-like species.

#4 Offline Leo - Posted December 20 2018 - 10:38 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

1cm, is not tetramorium, also no offence, but not a single lasius species lives in the philippines. Also lasisu are apparently pretty small, though I can't say much because I have never seen lasius before.

• kingz2015 likes this

#5 Offline kingz2015 - Posted December 22 2018 - 1:37 AM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I actually read that wrong to believe it was 1mm (still too small for tetramorium but I just thought so because they're so common). Really? I wonder why that is. Btw, no offense was taken, knowledge is power.

#6 Offline Leo - Posted December 22 2018 - 5:49 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

LoL bcuz I live in China, lasius aren't exactly a tropical species  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: philippines, black ant, black ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users