• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Space nests

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 28 2018 - 1:57 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I came cross these Antspace nests on Ebay a few weeks back and now RobJ has looked at it.

These nests are a whole new approach and are modular

Talk about spacey :)

Edited by CoolColJ, November 28 2018 - 2:12 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, AntsBC and Rulkan like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 28 2018 - 3:17 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I, too, experimented with connectors like this starting around 4 years ago, and spent a great deal of time working on a similar modular system in early 2016.

While it is a great idea, in theory, ultimately, given the fickle nature of 3D printing, this manufacturer is going to have a notoriously difficult time ensuring that pieces sold today fit the same way as pieces sold at a later date.  If you look at their design in contrast to mine (below), you'll notice that their female connectors are inset into the sidewall of the formicary, whereas mine are outset.  The result is that their connectors will need to be designed to fit tightly, but not too tightly, because that sidewall is going to be quite rigid and won't flex to accomodate an oversized male connector.  They have almost no latitude for an oversized or undersized connector component, from the looks of it.

It would kind of defeat the whole idea of a modular, expandable system if you bought expansion pieces a year down the road which were just slightly too loose, allowing ants to escape, or so tight that they couldn't fit the pieces you already had.  That's one of my primary concerns.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 28 2018 - 4:00 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and Rulkan like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted November 28 2018 - 4:36 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Is ByFormica  only offering feeders and nector at the moment? Or are you/will you be selling enclosures or formicariums. I seem to rmemebr having an order with you or some kind of arrangment? I can't remember. Let me know if I'm remembering incorectly.

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 29 2018 - 6:19 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I came cross these Antspace nests on Ebay a few weeks back and now RobJ has looked at it.

These nests are a whole new approach and are modular

Talk about spacey :)

Where did you find them btw on ebay. I would like to purchase a couple for Christmas.

#5 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 29 2018 - 9:07 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I wonder if the larger one(for the larger species) would work for leaf cutter species(like acromyrmex Versicolor) or if it's still too small for the fungus... Probably too small still.

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 29 2018 - 12:37 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Where did you find them btw on ebay. I would like to purchase a couple for Christmas.

There is a link to their site in the Youtube videos description, plus a discount code
  • ctantkeeper likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users