• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

664 replies to this topic

#481 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 2 2021 - 12:29 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Eight or nine weeks is enough for new queens to get them to lay eggs.

Thanks!

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#482 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:37 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

man they don't have to hibernate/have diapause for as long as I thought! just founding queens right?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#483 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2021 - 4:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

man they don't have to hibernate/have diapause for as long as I thought! just founding queens right?

I hibernate my mega-colony about three months. The founding queens do fine with way less time.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#484 Offline Canadant - Posted March 3 2021 - 6:02 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
How's the big colony? How are they in the nucleus? I'm thinking of getting a nucleus for mine in tbe near future. Small colony looking good.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#485 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2021 - 6:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The mega-colony is doing great. Still in sleepy time, but I'll be waking them up in the next few weeks. I'll be giving them a new outworld initially and a new expansion nest soon.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#486 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2021 - 6:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-8-2021

I sold my newest colony yesterday to another member on this forum. They are off to such a great start with 26 workers and a mountain of brood. I bid them Godspeed!

IMG 9281
IMG 9282

In other great news, one of the slacker queens finally laid some eggs! I'm hopeful to get another colony going. A second queen is pretty close to getting her first workers as well.

Crematogaster to the right:
IMG 9279

• TennesseeAnts and tdlnx like this

#487 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 8 2021 - 6:31 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Gorgeous colony! 

• ANTdrew likes this

#488 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2021 - 5:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-23-2021

After a four months diapause in my parents' cold basement, I finally brought my mega-colony home on Saturday 3/20. I took advantage to clean their outworld and vacuumed up a lot of trash and lots of dead workers. It was a significant amount of dead workers, but I'm not too concerned because it is still a relatively small percent of the colony, and they probably died of old age. I left the Nucleus III at room temp for a day, and then I taped on a mini heat pad on the back. They are kind of slowly warming up, but I'm seeing more activity and more ants coming to the nectar feeder. I'm looking forward to big things from this colony this year.

In other news, I sold one of my new colonies to another FC member on Saturday. A third queen now has larvae, and she is on hold for AleeGuy. More to come!

Edited by ANTdrew, March 23 2021 - 5:44 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and 5 others like this

#489 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 23 2021 - 4:14 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Wow! What a read!

Your colony is amazing. I can't wait to read more.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#490 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2021 - 4:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Photo Update 3-25-2021

Sigyn and her Divas are waking up nicely after a few days being heated. My house temperatures are also rising, so they are getting quite active. They are emptying out their nectar feeders and responding nicely to protein. So far, I have fed them two mealworms on 3/23 and two crickets on 3/24. This photo is the front of their Nucleus III; the vast majority of the colony are crammed in the back by the heat pad. The thing is pretty dingy after a year of them living in it, but it is a great formicarium. These ants sure love their H E A T.

IMG 9419

• FeedTheAnts, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

#491 Offline Canadant - Posted March 25 2021 - 3:22 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Photo Update 3-25-2021

Sigyn and her Divas are waking up nicely after a few days being heated. My house temperatures are also rising, so they are getting quite active. They are emptying out their nectar feeders and responding nicely to protein. So far, I have fed them two mealworms on 3/23 and two crickets on 3/24. This photo is the front of their Nucleus III; the vast majority of the colony are crammed in the back by the heat pad. The thing is pretty dingy after a year of them living in it, but it is a great formicarium. These ants sure love their H E A T.

Finally! There they are. Lookin' good. Lookin' awake. I'm glad you posted this. I will eventually get a nucleus for my girls too. The only problem with keeping ants is the interior of the formicarium tend to get a little grimy. My tetramorium wreaked havoc on theirs.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#492 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 25 2021 - 4:36 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
What kind of heating pad do you use?

I love your girls

#493 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 11:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-30-21

All is well in Crematogaster-ville, and these girls are rearing to go. Once I finish a few more tweaks, I will hook up a new big outworld for them to give them some more room. They are devouring any protein I give them, and chugging Sunburst like it's Super Bowl Sunday. More and more of the eggs that over-wintered are hatching, but they still don't have tons of brood yet. I'm hoping that will change soon.

Chug, chug, chug!

IMG 9473

These girls would happily live at 98F if they could. This is them on their heat pad:
IMG 9456

They found a tiny gap in the overhanging rim I have lined with fluon. I was lazy and put down some mounting putty to stop them, but they just kept on chewing at it, so I plug it up with a dollop of silicone. It didn't even faze them, and they are still trying to chew at it days later. They must put down a distinct pheromone that says: "Possible escape point! All hands on deck!" You got to admire their persistence. %)
IMG 9450

Here are some fun GIFs I made of the Divas.

IMG 9448
GIF 2021 03 28 07 17 36

I love this colony. Until next time...

• nurbs, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#494 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 30 2021 - 11:43 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I bet they love those tunnels :-) it looks amazing. I was thinking tube tunnels would help give them space buy maybe escape points lol.

#495 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 12 2021 - 7:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-12-2021

Another exciting chapter began for my Divas this weekend as I attached a large, new outworld to their current setup. This is the CrematoTemple outworld I shared in the FormicarIums and Outworlds thread a while back. I went kind of whacky-tacky with the design, but it was a lot of fun to make. They currently have three outworlds to wander in: the Nucleus' foraging area, the first DIY outworld, and this new one.

IMG 9584

They went wild with excitement when they discovered the new space and were literally tripping over each other to get into it to explore.

IMG 9587
IMG 9591
IMG 9592

This colony is getting so huge, it's actually kind of scary watching them. I really hope I can keep them going and contained, but from FeedTheAnts' experience I know full well what can happen with this species if a breach were to happen. I just give thanks every day they are still with me, even if the Sword of Damocles hangs over the whole experiment.

In other news, I sold a third of my new colonies to AleeGuy on Saturday. I bid them Godspeed! :bye:

• nurbs, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#496 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2021 - 4:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-6-2021

It's been a while since I updated this journal, but not much has changed other than growth, growth, and more growth. This colony is really huge now, and their efficiency at processing protein is pretty impressive. They also go through Sunburst like there is no tomorrow. I had some extra large glass test tubes, so I put one up in one of their outworlds for more nesting space. I also ordered a new lid for the their Nucleus which has the removable vent. That is a great investment if you are ordering from THA. I just wish the hole under the vent was bigger, so I could access more. It is good for quickly dropping in food, though. I think I will be ordering a second Nucleus III to attach to their current one very soon. 

They pile up brood in their outworld right next to the heat pad. It's hilarious when the pile tumbles down every once in a while. They pull all the pile down at night.

IMG 9648

IMG 9743

Some strange rites on their CrematoTemple:
IMG 9747
IMG 9759

• nurbs, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this

#497 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 7 2021 - 5:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I wonder what kind of rituals are going on on that temple.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#498 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 7 2021 - 7:51 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Probably offerings to the gods of the big four: Creams, Toes, Gasters, and Misspellings

• TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#499 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 7 2021 - 8:44 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Probably offerings to the gods of the big four: Creams, Toes, Gasters, and Misspellings

you missed one the biggest of them all the great Heat pad oh and another the great food giver

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew and Chickalo like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#500 Offline NPLT - Posted May 7 2021 - 10:25 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

you missed one the biggest of them all the great Heat pad oh and another the great food giver

The Great Metallic Claw of Food.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users