• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#321 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:43 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I hate to admit this, but your colony is probably larger than mine now. The Valentines have had a massive die off in the last week, combined with escapes. They're still huge, but probably not more than 3000 strong now. The worst part is that when they escaped then some rouge workers killed my Formica subsericea colony by entering through the crack in their mini hearth (Cremas could fit through, but not Formica). 

Oh wow... That sucks....

Ya... I'm waiting on pins and needles for my Nucleus to come. They need a new nest and outworld. I suspect that the Hybrid Nest is stagnated or something, and that could be the cause of so many deaths.

• TennesseeAnts and MysticNanitic like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#322 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 12 2020 - 8:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn, that really sucks. #CrematogasterKeeperProblems
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#323 Offline Boog - Posted June 15 2020 - 5:28 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Nice new outworld space for your colony adds some new observation experiences I find! As our colonies grow I think adding several similar outworlds with connected nests looks cool and will give the ants some needed surface area.

• ANTdrew likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#324 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 25 2020 - 10:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-25-2020

Big update here, so I'll cut straight to the chase: Sigyn has her first male alate! I was observing the ants in the foraging area of their Nucleus last night when I suddenly saw the male milling about their feeding dish! I'm blown away to see them reach this point after starting from a single queen. I'm intrigued to see a male show up so early in the season since their flights don't happen for another two months at least. I wonder if this is a one off, or if I'll see more?

One annoying habit they started this week was hanging out in the tubing connecting the Nucleus with their desert outpost. Really girls? You have a $150 Nucleus, but you prefer vinyl tubing? Whatever... I'm calling this Myrmy's Law, the fact that ants will always do the opposite of what you want them to do.

Attached Images

• IMG-7452.jpg

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:30 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland, AntsDakota and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#325 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm calling this Myrmy's Law, the fact that ants will always do the opposite of what you want them to do.

I have a feeling this is going to become popular in the ant keeping community. I for one am going to use it, starting now.
  • ANTdrew and Froggy like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#326 Offline Canadant - Posted June 25 2020 - 2:22 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
And what a handsome gentleman at that!

'Now get out!' Lol. I kid.

Congrats!
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#327 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 2 2020 - 7:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-2-2020

Good news and bad news in this update. I'll start with the positive: my brother's Crematogaster cf ashmeadi queen just got her first two nanitics. I'll head over to his apartment today to pick them up. It'll be fun to see how this species differs from cerasi - if they are indeed a different species.

I also saw a male alate up in their desert outpost outworld. I'm not sure if it's the same male or another one, but pretty cool to see, none the less. The bad news is that I also saw a worker get past the horizontal band of Fluon to reach the overhanging rim for the first time. I guess it was kind of naïve, but I was hoping that they wouldn't even be able to make it to the rim, but at least it is stopping them for now. #CrematogasterKeeperProblems

Photo time:

Beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice! Feasting on beetles from my black lighting sessions:

Thirsty much?

Here is my backyard colony gathering sugary exudates from unopened Campsis radicans flower buds:

• FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#328 Offline Jaredshedr - Posted July 7 2020 - 7:59 PM

Jaredshedr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What type of sugar do you use in their feeder?
  • ANTdrew likes this

#329 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 8 2020 - 2:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What type of sugar do you use in their feeder?

I use byFormica Sunburst nectar exclusively with these girls.

#330 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Interesting with the Myrmy's Law, as most of my ants are actually fairly cooperative,especially the Lasius. Except for Pheidole of course. But those are just stubborn in general. :thinking:

Excellent job on rearing them to alates, always an excellent milestone! (y)

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#331 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 10:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-9-2020

Not too much has changed for Sigyn recently, but I tried two new foods for her in the past week. First, after watching a wild colony avidly eating bird droppings a few weeks back, I decided to see how this colony would react. Last Sunday I came across a nice juicy one, so I scooped it up on some foil and put it in her outworld. They definitely seemed interested, but I don't know if they need urea as much as Camponotus do.

The second feeding experiment was Nurbs' bloodworm soup. I thawed some frozen bloodworms and mixed them with some drops of water in her feeding dish. They were definitely interested, but I had to abort the experiment when several workers got stuck in the soupy mess. I may try again with a much smaller amount, but I don't see this being a staple any time soon.

Here is a picture of the male alate again. As far as I know, there is only one at this point, but he must wander around quite a bit. I would, too, if I had 2,500 half sisters, I guess.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#332 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 9 2020 - 11:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Do they feed the urea to the larvae or do only the workers eat it?

Also, do you still have your Tetramorium colony?

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 9 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#333 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 11:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m not sure, to be honest.
I sold all my Tetramorium, but I have new queens coming on line any day now.

#334 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 9 2020 - 11:35 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I’m not sure, to be honest.
I sold all my Tetramorium, but I have new queens coming on line any day now.

What do you mean “coming on line”? So I take it you sold your very large colony?

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 9 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#335 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 11:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry, I just mean getting their first workers.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#336 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 9 2020 - 12:51 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Sorry, I just mean getting their first workers.

You sold your Tetramorium mega colony?

#337 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 1:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Uhh, I’d rather not get into that...
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#338 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 9 2020 - 1:32 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Uhh, I’d rather not get into that...

Ahhhh. Okay then.

• ANTdrew likes this

#339 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2020 - 10:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-24-2020

No escapes for a while, but two serious problems have arisen for Sigyn and her Divas. The biggest issue is a huge grain mite infestation that I've posted about in other threads on here. I still have no clue how they got in there as I freeze all their feeders beforehand, but their whole outworld is crawling with mites now. They've spilled out onto my ant shelves and gotten in to other set ups, like my Formica argentea's dirt box as well.

In desperation, I ordered 12,500 Hypoaspis miles predatory mites from a seller on Amazon called NaturesGoodGuys for $19. If they work, it will be money well spent. I put several tablespoons of the mite-laden substrate in a plastic box I had and put this in their outworld. I'll keep this substrate moist for a few weeks, so they can proliferate and hopefully eliminate the grain mites. If they eliminate my prize colony as well, that won't be the first thing that's gone totally to hell in my life the past few months.

The second crisis may be related to the mites somehow because they have conquered the Fluon barrier in the desert outpost. I wonder if millions of dusty mites covering the Fluon is good way to ruin it? By the grace of God, the lid on there is containing them, but feeding them without escapes is going to be a real pain in the a** until I can clean and reapply Fluon. I won't be able to do that with my wife and kids around since it will be a real fiasco.

Keeping a massive Crematogaster cerasi colony is very, very difficult.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#340 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 24 2020 - 11:18 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Wow, I hope the Hypoaspis mite kill all the grain mites. 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users