• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

664 replies to this topic

#261 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2020 - 6:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-23-2020

Not much has changed for the colony, and they remain one of the few things in my world that are not a total disaster, far from it, actually. A funny habit they've started is bringing up a big pile of larvae and pupae into a warm spot of their out world every afternoon, then taking them all back down at night. They repeat this daily, and I imagine it's similar to what a wild colony would do to move brood near areas warmed by the sun. They'll have a crap ton of new workers once all these eclose, and this is not even all the brood.

Here's an overview of the whole formicarium. The front chambers are mostly empty still because the heat source is glued on the back. They all should fill up in no time at their current pace.

The young colony I mailed last week had a rough ride. I naively air mailed them in their full test tube set up. The rapid air pressure changes must have caused a flood, so they arrived sopping wet, and at least 14 died. The queen and most of the colony were fine, though. They are in the hands of a skilled new keeper  now, so the future is looking really bright for them. (y)

Attached Images

• IMG-6964.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:18 AM.

• nurbs, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#262 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 7:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

What happened to the plant on the right? Did the ants do that?

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#263 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 23 2020 - 7:40 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Awesome journal. Crematogaster are so fun to keep!

• ANTdrew likes this

#264 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 23 2020 - 7:52 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They're looking good (y)

I just ordered a Nucleus from THA. Mack said that there weren't any large formicariums made for small ants premade because of the amount of people trying to raise Fire Ants. He said that if I made an order he could get it done very quickly though. He really is the best.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#265 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

They're looking good (y)
I just ordered a Nucleus from THA. Mack said that there weren't any large formicariums made for small ants premade because of the amount of people trying to raise Fire Ants. He said that if I made an order he could get it done very quickly though. He really is the best.

Excellent! And I’ll never get the fire ant thing.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#266 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What happened to the plant on the right? Did the ants do that?

Some plastic plant. It came looking that way.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#267 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:35 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

They're looking good (y)

I sense a blast of fresh air conditioning.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#268 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:37 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They're looking good (y)

What? :thinking:

#269 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

They're looking good (y)

Air Conditioner is what we call AntsCanada. :lol:

#270 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 23 2020 - 8:43 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They're looking good (y)

Air Conditioner is what we call AntsCanada. :lol:

Oh :lol:

#271 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:06 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

AC = AntsCanada; AC = Air Conditioner

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#272 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:07 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Or alternating current  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#273 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

He alternates, that's for sure.  :lol:

#274 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Jailbreak!!!! Agh!!!
It took them seven weeks, but the Divas found a way out. Unbeknowst to me, they were gnawing away at the hot glue I used to seal a gap between the glass and formicarium in the back. I saw one roaming outside the Nucleus this morning, which is NEVER a good thing. A little investigating led me to the breach, which I’ve plugged with mounting putty for now. I’ll repair it with more hot glue or epoxy later. Yikes.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#275 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:28 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Jailbreak!!!! Agh!!!
It took them seven weeks, but the Divas found a way out. Unbeknowst to me, they were gnawing away at the hot glue I used to seal a gap between the glass and formicarium in the back. I saw one roaming outside the Nucleus this morning, which is NEVER a good thing. A little investigating led me to the breach, which I’ve plugged with mounting putty for now. I’ll repair it with more hot glue or epoxy later. Yikes.

Sorry, I forgot to mention to you that Crematogaster have no problem chewing through hot glue. Mine have done it multiple times. Your best bet would be some sort of sealant.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#276 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 10:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Would clear epoxy work? I don’t want to gas them, but the gap they chewed is only like a millimeter. What else could I put?

#277 Offline Boog - Posted April 26 2020 - 11:37 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I'm a fan of this two part epoxy putty called Milliput, specifically the white one. Mix the two parts and it hardens in 3-4 hours and like a rock overnight and doesn't have a strong smell or shrink. One of my go-to building materials for DIY stuff now.

Modelers use it and its some fun to mess with: http://www.scalemode...milliput-putty/

Edited by Boog, April 26 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and ANTdrew like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#278 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 12:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool, Boog! But I need it like yesterday. Where can I order it fast to stop a 2,000 strong worker force hell-bent on escaping??!?

#279 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 1:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My current plan is to fill the gap with hot glue then cover all with a thick bead of epoxy. Maybe cover all with a thick tape?? That may buy me six more weeks.

#280 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Another week, another jailbreak. The plugs on my Nucleus for the exit and nestmate holes were nowhere tight enough to contain Crematogaster, so I had sealed the gaps with hot glue. Guess who chewed a hole out??
  • AntsMaryland and AntsDakota like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users