• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chinese New Year nuptial flight! ( 19-02-2015 )

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Servercheck - Posted February 19 2015 - 4:32 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia
So, it rained heavily just before midnight yesterday, and I already knew there will be some queens out and about today.

I saw some males this morning, and I just went out and caught myself 17 queens! I caught 8 different species, including Pheidole sp, Solenopsis geminata, 2 species of Crematogaster, Tetramorium sp. ( not sure ) and others I'm not sure. I'll be going out again after sorting them out... I caught all of them on one wall and the roof of the car!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll probably release most of them, as I already kept most of them before... I'll spend the rest of tomorrow photographing them.

#2 Offline Etherwulf - Posted February 19 2015 - 5:06 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

Congratulations on the catch! 

I would have loved to trade some if you lived in my area. 

Edited by Etherwulf, February 19 2015 - 5:10 AM.

#3 Offline wshanke - Posted February 19 2015 - 8:09 AM

wshanke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Wow I was celebrating the New Year when you have such a big harvest............ %)

Can you deal with me for some? :D

#4 Offline Servercheck - Posted February 19 2015 - 8:17 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Sorry, shipping live animals ( insects included ) is illegal in Malaysia... Some say the authorities aren't strict and won't check, but I don't want to risk it...

After that first batch, I didn't find any new species so I didn't get more. I did see a lot of males which seemed to be an unknown species, but I couldn't find the queens.

I haven't photographed ants in a long time. I'm gonna need more time to get them all photographed...

Edited by Servercheck, February 19 2015 - 8:58 PM.

#5 Offline Etherwulf - Posted February 19 2015 - 8:49 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

love animals

:lol:

Edited by Etherwulf, February 19 2015 - 8:49 AM.

#6 Offline antmaniac - Posted February 19 2015 - 2:27 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

So many queens you have caught there! They are lovely live animals indeed.

#7 Offline Servercheck - Posted February 19 2015 - 8:58 PM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

LOL! I was using my phone, didn't proofread... 

Anyway, I woke up this morning and found 3 queens dead, all from the same species ( Nylanderia sp. I believe ). None of the other queens shed their wings, so I was a little discouraged...

Then I released two Solenopsis geminata queen, 4 Crematogaster sp. queens ( two different species ) and 2 Pheidole sp. queens. While releasing them, I noticed lots of dead bodies of males around, but also saw 2 more Crematogaster sp. queens, an unknown queen and another large worker. I caught both the queen and the worker. I'll be posting the ID thread for 3 of my catches later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users