• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ender Ant's Dorymyrmex bicolor Journal

dorymyrmex dorymyrmex bicolor pyramid ant

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 28 2018 - 6:09 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Hello fellow antkeepers, 

This will be my first post on making a journal, and first time successfully caring for a Dorymyrmex bicolor colony. I usually overlooked this part of the forum, since I was more focused on asking questions at the time. But a quick note: I may not be able to check back, or make updates when something happens, because I may forget :P Here we go. 

Capture Date: July 9, 2018 

IMG_3879.jpg

I actually caught a bunch last year in September, but young Ender Ants was not prepared, and only had one test tube left, after catching other queens. So, I put them all in one test tube. Body heat + aggressive queen ants led to almost all of them dying, except for one. That one still had wings, but by the time November had come around, I decided to hibernate all my ant colonies. They all survived, but that Dorymyrmex bicolor queen died. Lesson learned, will not be hibernating this species this upcoming winter. 

Edited by Ender Ants, August 28 2018 - 6:34 PM.

#2 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 28 2018 - 6:23 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

July 16, 2018:

First batch of eggs have been laid

IMG_4030.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, August 28 2018 - 6:34 PM.

#3 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 28 2018 - 6:32 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

August 28, 2018:

Larvae have developed into pupae. I counted about 13 pupae, and one is close to hatching by the time you see this. Next update will be when the first nanitics arrive. 

I didn't want to take any pictures when the eggs were developing into the larva stage, since I did not want to stress out the queens. I would say August 20-25, is when the first larvae appeared. \

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

I am more frequent with my updates, and posts on my Instagram page, and will be making a colony update, introducing them to my YouTube channel very soon.

Edited by Ender Ants, August 28 2018 - 6:38 PM.

• Nare likes this

#4 Offline Nare - Posted August 28 2018 - 6:41 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Nice location - you live in hell?

• AntsBC likes this

#5 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 29 2018 - 1:08 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Nice location - you live in hell?

I guess we can say that ;D

#6 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:06 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

August 29:

Two nanitics eclosed! 

Posted on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ender_ants/

Update uploaded on YouTube: 

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, September 8 2018 - 7:09 PM.

• rdurham02 and Mettcollsuss like this

#7 Offline Ender Ants - Posted October 8 2018 - 3:36 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

October 8:

The colony is now at 14+ workers, and still an increasing amount of brood!

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

#8 Offline Ender Ants - Posted November 12 2018 - 3:36 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

November 12, 2018:

The Dorymyrmex bicolor colony are now the current residents of the Mini Hearth formicarium. They now have 17 workers, with many more brood.

IMG-5645.jpg

IMG-5646.jpg

#9 Offline Scrixx - Posted November 12 2018 - 4:31 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Oh man those Dorymyrmex have a lot of space in that mini hearth.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#10 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 12 2018 - 6:07 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Good luck. Nice colony, by the way. Hope they do well. I hope you update, but it is okay if you don’t, because you made that very clear, you may forget

#11 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:24 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Update August 16, 2019: New Catches

So about time I've made an update on this post. Reason for the lack of update was because nothing really happened with this colony. They were slowly losing workers, until they were at 11 workers. But good news! They are now at almost 20 workers again, and have more larvae and pupae. Will make an update on them soon. This update however, is on these new Dorymyrmex bicolor and Dorymyrmex insanus queens. Caught 2 of each species, all being able to reach the egg stage! Hoping to have a colony of D. Insanus since this will be my first time catching a fertile queen.

FE54-DC29-92-CD-44-EB-84-B8-63-CCB158647

1-A5-A8-AC5-BC4-A-4-B2-E-9-AC1-CFA964-B5

E3853557-6240-4378-8-E4-C-7-E52908-CC3-F

IMG-3357.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, August 21 2019 - 3:25 PM.

• Nare and PacificNorthWestern like this

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

These guys are insane. I know someone with doromyrmex nests on a 1 acre property every half foot. They don't fight, so I believe they're all on colony.

• Ender Ants likes this

#13 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:35 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 10, 2020: Not a lot of growth

Follow me on Instagram for more active updates on all my colonies

https://www.instagram.com/ender_ants/

So its been a long time since I have updated this journal because the queens I caught last year didn't survive. The Dorymyrmex insanus alate was infertile and laid a drone. But that all changes now, as I caught a new D. bicolor queen on June 9! I plan on moving this queen into container with sand instead, as I feel like they do better in those kind of setups. For now she'll be in this test tube. 

IMG-5939.jpg

IMG-5943.jpg

--
Original Colony in Mini Hearth
Worker Count: 19 workers & Brood

One of the other reasons why I haven't updated this journal is because this colony hasn't really changed. I've fed them a whole variety of foods recently, so I hope that will change soon. They seem to like green lacewings, which I have been attracting with my black-light. I never showed their setup except on Instagram and in my YouTube videos, so here it is. They moved the substrate around and made a little hill :D

IMG-5953.jpg

IMG-5959.jpg

IMG-5960.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, June 10 2020 - 3:36 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#14 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 14 2020 - 4:36 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

July 14, 2020: The First Drones

Original Colony in Mini Hearth

Worker Count: 12 workers & Brood

Was surprised to see this colony with 3 drones. They're one of my oldest colonies, so I guess it was just their time. I counted less workers this time for some reason, even though I don't see any dead workers in the outworld. I'm just going to feed them even more than before then!

gAzMjuy.jpg

yPrsRev.jpg

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 14 2020 - 6:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Perhaps the colony was investing more resources in the males, and therefore less workers were hatching. Some could have died without you seeing it. Ants can be very clever.........
  • Ender Ants likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 9 2020 - 5:09 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

August 9, 2020: Lots of Changes

If you want to watch me introduce the queen to the setup from the very beginning, watch this video:

https://youtu.be/1QCWxtjZMJ8

(Natural Setup)

This colony has progressed a lot in the past two months. There is about 20 workers, lots of brood, and hills all around the top. They have moved the sand up at least 1 inch from the original surface, and opened up a lot of space at the bottom. I have fed them honey, Hawaiian Punch (Soda), leaf-hoppers, and fish food. Unlike my other colony, they are taking in everything, and are always overturning more sand each day. 

hFOUUAi.jpg

AV2fw8G.jpg

VetlbEy.jpg

cGEIX3I.jpg

TtRr4uA.jpg

84UB333.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, August 9 2020 - 5:11 PM.

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#17 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 9 2020 - 5:24 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Looks like a nice ant to keep!

Edited by Antkid12, August 9 2020 - 5:25 PM.

• Ender Ants likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#18 Offline Ender Ants - Posted December 18 2020 - 7:47 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

December 18, 2020: Sand Mounds

(Natural Setup)

This colony has grown much larger since the last update, and as always are moving around sand. I'm not sure how many there are, but I would estimate around 50-60. I wish I had more bugs to feed them since they accept pretty much everything I have given them. So, I got a superworm culture and have been raising them for the past month. Once that culture lays their first mealworms, they're all going straight to the colonies. 

In the four corners of their container they made these little ant hills. 
IMG_9541.JPG

IMG_9542.JPG

The colony has had a steady pile of brood all throughout the year. So satisfying to look at. 

IMG_9546.JPG

I don't have many photos of the colony and queen because the sand is in the way. I do have a video covering their progress, and also covers my 1st colony inside the Mini Hearth. This video was uploaded in October, so they have done a lot of excavating since then. 

Video Update: (Skip to 5:22)

Edited by Ender Ants, December 18 2020 - 7:48 PM.

• Somethinghmm and TechAnt like this

#19 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:52 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

that's a lot of brood!

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 19 2020 - 7:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I love this species. I enjoy watching their extensive foraging trails when visiting suburban Phoenix.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dorymyrmex, dorymyrmex bicolor, pyramid ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users