• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada 2018-07-15

queen ant id request queens formica myrmica

Best Answer LC3 , July 16 2018 - 11:00 AM

First queen is likely Myrmica specioides if not M. rubra since those are the likely species around these areas. The Formica queen may be F. pacifica as I’ve heard they have been flying recently. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline proto - Posted July 16 2018 - 8:21 AM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I caught several queens yesterday and am really curious about the second one.  It still has the wings, but I really hope it's Formica of the kind that move around really fast that I've noticed in a nearby area (where workers were mostly red with some black in color).

Myrmica??

Location:  Surrey, BC, Canada (Low shrub field next to the community garden) [coordinates:  49.181745, -122.790614]

Date of Collection:  July 14, 2018

Habitat:  wood chips covering the ground in open area of low shrub field with long grasses (2ft tall grasses and shrubs surrounding the area).

Length:  5mm

Coloration:  mixed brown and black with yellowish legs, antenae, and mandibles.

Distinguishing characteristics:  two petioles, spikes at the end of the thorax, fine hairs all over the body, 12 antennae segments

caught wandering around close to 7pm.

M4QrtHCs0BeYHtCp4_Weq0b9TJmeUDIGjopocWWj

Formica??

Location:  Surrey, BC, Canada (near Tynehead forest) [coordinates 49.177617, -122.778464]

Date of Collection:  July 15, 2018

Habitat:  unknown. i saw it climbing the glass at the McDonalds

Length:  10mm

Coloration:  mostly brown with some black,  and brownish legs, antenae, and mandibles.

Distinguishing characteristics:  one petiole, a very distinctive light brown V in center of thorax, a matte surface,  expanded parts of the gaster is shiny,12 antennae segments

caught crawling around close to 6:30pm along the side of a mcdonalds near the forest.

dMGUWM9BlDDQxEDESIU4jTCjtvuE0yCqL5L21WR6

WSYrL6ewiv68NpnA8

Google Photo Album for both https://photos.app.goo.gl/FhJt38ueNjnEtvDx6

Location:  Surrey, BC, Canada (Low shrub field next to the community garden) [coordinates:  49.181745, -122.790614]

Date of Collection:  July 14, 2018

Habitat:  wood chips covering the ground in open area of low shrub field with long grasses (2ft tall grasses and shrubs surrounding the area).

Length:  5mm

Coloration:  mixed brown and black with yellowish legs, antenae, and mandibles.

Distinguishing characteristics:  two petioles, spikes at the end of the thorax, fine hairs all over the body, 12 antennae segments

caught wandering around close to 7pm.

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 16 2018 - 8:32 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Looks like you are correct about both. Someone with more experience could probably ID that Formica queen.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 16 2018 - 8:33 AM.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted July 16 2018 - 11:00 AM   Best Answer

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
First queen is likely Myrmica specioides if not M. rubra since those are the likely species around these areas. The Formica queen may be F. pacifica as I’ve heard they have been flying recently.
  • dermy and proto like this

#4 Offline proto - Posted July 16 2018 - 2:13 PM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If anyone knows the exact species for the Myrmica would be appreciated.  What other detail would be needed to make the necessary determination?

Thanks in advance.

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen ant, id request, queens, formica, myrmica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users