• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Blow fly laying eggs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iXvXi - Posted July 14 2018 - 9:22 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I finally think I narrowed down a blow fly infestation, I have in my house.

I'm pretty sure one got in and laid a batch of eggs in my 75 gallon formicarium and now I'm having trouble managing their reproduction. It didn't take long for them to lay a BUNCH of eggs.

Any idea's?

I cannot move the large colony at the moment as I do not have something big enough.

#2 Offline dermy - Posted July 14 2018 - 10:01 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I find it odd that they would be in an ant setup, are you absolutely sure these are blowflies? Most species that I know require meat or carrion for the developing maggots. Also eggs hatch out really fast. These sound like flies you'd get in a composting bin or something of the sort. If you can can you kill a specimen and take pictures of it so we can see if we can determine what it might be?

#3 Offline iXvXi - Posted July 15 2018 - 12:57 AM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I haven't actually confirmed they are coming from the tank but it's the only source I could think of that they could lay in by the amounts.

I ALSO have a cricket pen with bedding in it so I'm curious if that's the actual source as they are next to each other and the light gets tons of them overnight.

I'll try and post a picture they're huge and slow and easy to kill.

Edited by iXvXi, July 15 2018 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users