• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major’s Ant Journal

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted July 5 2018 - 2:20 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Yeah yeah. So I know that I’m pretty late. I should have started one of these a while back but never had the time. Well here it is.

Photos: (Edit: These pics aren't good but my pics get better in the sixth post in this journal)

Pic #1 is where I keep them
Pic #2 is all my test tubes
Pic #3 is my very stubborn Aphenogaster Picea or Myrmica queen who won’t lay. I pushed the cotton a little farther down to make her feel a little more secure.
Pic #4 is still my Aphenogaster Picea or Myrmica
Pic #5 is my Tetramorium Immigrans queen I caught on nuptial flight day. She keeps on pumping out eggs!
Pic #6 is my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (Found her in a log in a forest with trails.)
Pic #7 is my Camponotus Novaeboracensis colony with 1 worker that exposed today. Found her on a sidewalk
Pic #8 is another Camponotus Pennsylvanicus found in the same log
Pic #9 is yet another Camponotus Pennsylvanicus found in the same log
Pic #10 is more Camponotus Pennsylvanicus found in the same log (found like 30 queens in this log but for a price. Solenopsis stings...
Pic #11 is my prized Camponotus Novaeboracensis colony. They have 9 workers. They were also brood boosted. They love honey water and superworms.

2 Colonies and 6 Queens

Edited by Major, July 25 2018 - 8:31 AM.

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline Major - Posted July 6 2018 - 1:08 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Something terrible happened

My largest novaeboracensis colony lost 4 workers!! I boiled some sand and then added it to their setup. Then the unexpected happened. They appear to be ingesting it. So that’s how they died. I moved them to a fresh test tube and our world free of sand. They won’t stay in the test tube. They scattered their eggs and brood all over the out world. I’m probably going to release them. I also released my Aphenogaster queen as she hasn’t laid eggs in a week.

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2018 - 7:48 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
That’s so sad! :( Best of luck with your other colonies and with your Aphenogaster queen!
  • Major and like this

Spoiler

#4 Offline Major - Posted July 7 2018 - 11:12 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
With sadness comes joy.
Two of my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens got their first workers!! And, my other Camponotus Novaeboracensis queen got another worker and is at two! I did release the Aphenogaster and the Camponotus Novaeboracensis colony that was at 4 or 5 workers.
  • BleepingBleepers likes this

#5 Offline Major - Posted July 7 2018 - 11:20 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
So I was flpping some rocks over, digging up founding chambers when I stumbled across something. It wasn’t a founding chamber, it was a Tetramotium Immigrans colony. I found their brood room too. So I took some brood and gave it to my Tetramorium Immigrans queen. She was pretty hesitant at first, it must have seemed to good to be true. But she eventually started taking care of them.

I also gave my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colonies some honey water soaked into a cotton ball. One queen drank so long that her hamster became distended! The other one took a couple sips but didn’t seem that interested. Pictures coming soon!

#6 Offline Major - Posted July 7 2018 - 12:05 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Pictures

• Karma likes this

#7 Offline Major - Posted July 7 2018 - 6:29 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Gave each of my colonies a piece of freshly killed mealworms. First protein meal!
  • Karma likes this

#8 Offline Major - Posted July 8 2018 - 2:45 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
My other two Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens got their first workers! One of my other Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens got her second worker.

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2018 - 3:21 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
That’s awesome! :) I’m still waiting for my first workers.

Spoiler

#10 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 9 2018 - 2:55 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
man you don't leave much room in the test tubes, I guess you have the water all the way up?

How do you feed them, without the queens freaking out?
It will get dicey when more workers arrive

Edited by CoolColJ, July 9 2018 - 2:55 AM.

• Karma and rbarreto like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#11 Offline Major - Posted July 9 2018 - 1:33 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I think that I will move them to a test tube with more room when the time comes. I feed them when I see the workers and queen on the other side of the test tube. Maybe I will make a mod of your test tube. (The one that is completely empty but is attached to another test tube full of water via cotton.)

Edited by The_NY_Major, July 17 2018 - 5:29 PM.

#12 Offline Major - Posted July 9 2018 - 5:44 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
My novaeboracensis is at 3 workers but still timid. My pennsylvanicus is at 3, my other one is at 2, another one is at 2, and the last one is at 1. My Tetramorium queens brood that I boosted her with seem to be dying. She doesn’t seem to care for them either.

Besides that, I finally got some ok pics! I don’t have a macro or a camera. But I do have an iPhone X. The camera isn’t as good as apple advertises it. The only reason pics weren’t all grainy was because I put a magnifying glass in front of the lens. Lighting was hard. I’m thinking about getting photography lessons because I quite enjoy the hobby.

Check out this forum (camera recommendations) :http://www.formicult...recomendations/

Here’s the pics I’m so proud of (I know their not amazing, but I tried)

Camponotus Novaeboracensis:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (4 Colonys

This one isn’t good⬇️

Tetramorium Immigrans:

Edited by The_NY_Major, July 10 2018 - 1:21 PM.

• FSTP and Karma like this

#13 Offline Major - Posted July 9 2018 - 5:50 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
How come my imgur links won’t show up as photos?

#14 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 9 2018 - 8:04 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

How come my imgur links won’t show up as photos?

You need to post the direct image link, it ends with .jpg, not the album link

Edited by CoolColJ, July 9 2018 - 8:04 PM.

• Karma likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#15 Offline Major - Posted July 10 2018 - 1:22 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Ok thanks I fixed it

#16 Offline KBant - Posted July 11 2018 - 11:02 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
First, you are overpaying for test tubes!! Look up lake Charles manufacturing for test tubes. Waaaaaaay cheaper.

Secondly your pics are fine. By no means amazing but better than most so don’t worry and keep posting! :)

Good luck!
  • Karma likes this

#17 Offline Major - Posted July 11 2018 - 4:28 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Yeah I was getting those test tubes from Michaels. But I found a pack of 72 glass test tubes (16x150mm) 44 cents each on amazon. https://www.amazon.c...i_VV0jBbDT0PJ5H
  • Karma likes this

#18 Offline Major - Posted July 12 2018 - 6:56 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Quick update, my Tetra queen has a pile of eggs and larvae almost as big as her! She discarded all the boosted brood. Except for one pupae and a couple larvae.
  • Karma likes this

#19 Offline Major - Posted July 12 2018 - 7:53 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
So I made this brick trap, credits to CoolColJ. Hasn't gave me anything yet, besides some tetra colonies.

• Karma likes this

#20 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 12 2018 - 2:45 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

It depends on the season and location I guess :)

Current ant colonies -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users