• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Rejuvenation

tarheelants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dotdispenser - Posted June 10 2018 - 7:22 PM

Dotdispenser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMorristown, Tennessee

So, as many of you may have heard, TarHeelAnts has had some problems with their Type II Formicariums letting off a harmful odor and killing ants (only their fall 2017 formicariums had problems, and the majority of their formicaria had absolutely no problems.

I caught my dream species--Camponotus Castaneus and Camponotus Americanus--just a month or so ago. I caught one queen of each and was so proud of myself and felt so good to be able to nurture and learn from them.

As it turns out, I had some Mini Hearths from TarHeelAnts' "bad batch."

I was wondering if anyone knew any ways to doctor the ants back to health once they were affected by the odor.

Current Symptoms:

1) Both are constantly laying on side, but if tampered with both will move their legs and antennae.
2) This has progressed over a period of about a week.

Just to clarify, I'm not insulting or criticizing TarHeelAnts in any way. Their owner is an outstanding guy who creates outstanding houses for ants and knows the anting hobby inside and out. I am just looking for a way to revive my ants back to normal health.

Thanks for any help!

Nurturer of:

• 1 Camponotus castaneus

• 1 Camponotus subbarbatus

• 1 Formica incerta

• 1 Formica subsericea

• 1 Crematogaster cf. ashmeadi

• 1 Crematogaster missouriensis

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 12 2018 - 9:29 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Put them on a moist towel, let them "air out", and feed them some sugar. Wash the mini hearths out and soak them for a day, then let dry thoroughly. Test them with a few worker ants of the same species as your queens, leave them for 24-48 hours. If they show no symptoms, you are good to go. If they even show the slightest signs of intoxication, rinse out and soak one more day.
  • kgollehon likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 13 2018 - 3:58 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Don't soak the the nest too long under water as the glue used in the silicon seal will dissolve or something. At least it did with one of my Atom C nests....

Edited by CoolColJ, June 13 2018 - 3:58 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tarheelants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users