• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 17 2018 - 7:40 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

If you keep/have kept Aphaenogaster spp., then you probably know that they aren't big fans of sweets.

Aphaenogaster is almost completely insectivorous, even workers consume insects. For my colony of A. rudis, I feed them mostly on insects but try to give them sugar in the form of honey or sugar-water about every week or so. They never seem to accept it. I know that they can survive almost completely on insects, I still sometimes get nervous that their lack of sweets will catch up to them.

Today, I tried giving them some hummingbird nectar for a change. For once, they accepted it. There were workers constantly drinking until it dried out. Then they began to break off small chunks from the dried droplet and dragging them into the nest where several ants would cluster around it.

I'm not sure if I've found a sugar source that all Aphaenogaster will accept, or if it's just my colony. If anyone else has Aphaenogaster, feel free to try this and see if it works.

Just thought I'd share my small discovery.

• noebl1 likes this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted May 17 2018 - 8:00 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I feed mine various kinds of seeds and almonds. 

Hm68Lin.jpg

• noebl1, Martialis and Mettcollsuss like this

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 18 2018 - 3:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I've been seeing people using bluegrass seeds for other ants, thinking of trying it.  I had not thought of almonds though.  

I noticed when my Aphaenogaster were young (like a queen and a single nanitic), they seemed to take Sunburst nectar.  However as soon as they got to more then a worker or two, that stopped.  I was suspecting it was related to them starting to take protein at this time, and got the nutrients from the insects they were getting.

Isn't hummingbird nectar sold in stores basically sugar and water?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted May 18 2018 - 3:59 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I fed mine a small piece of cantoloupe and they drank from it fora few hours then left it alone
  • noebl1 and Mettcollsuss like this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted May 18 2018 - 3:59 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

My old Aphaenogaster rudis colony always accepted honey if given in low doses at infrequent intervals. Otherwise, they would take any sort of insect flesh mixed with honey water.

If I remember correctly, I did see A. picea tending aphids in my yard. Maybe try putting an aphid infested plant in the outworld.

• noebl1 and Mettcollsuss like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline anttics - Posted May 18 2018 - 7:56 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I had a novomessot cockerelli. They love sun flower seeds covered with hum. Bird nectar. I believe the less protein they take. The longer they live.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 19 2018 - 4:06 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

So I I had some of this stuff mixed up in the freezer and thawed it out, and my A. picea are accepting it and bringing it back to the nest:

http://www.formicult...-feeding-video/

I did a mix of powdered sugar instead of nectar mix as well.

Edited by noebl1, May 19 2018 - 4:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, aphaenogaster rudis, diet, food, feeding, ants, sweets, carbs, carbohydrates, honey, sugar-water, hummingbird nectar, picky, insectivorous, insectivore, colony, myrmicinae, antkeeping, ant-keeping, discovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users