• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Sansabeanus Anttics

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline anttics - Posted April 26 2018 - 11:27 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Hello. I'm starting this journal as means to get help from more experience keepers. I captured this queen. At Vasquez rocks. On March 28. It's been a month. I checked on her twice. First check she had a few eggs. 3 weeks later. The eggs have not grown. I'll put pics. Tell.me what you think.

I have kept her at temp from 85 in the mornings to 90 afternoon and night. Since day one. She was disturbed only twice. The only cause for her failing I can think of. She is not fertile.
  • Karma likes this

#2 Offline Scrixx - Posted April 26 2018 - 4:21 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

My Camponotus sansabeanus were caught March 30 and I don't think they have larvae yet either, just eggs. It's unlikely that all of them are infertile as Camponotus apparently have a high success rate. Camponotus are known as slow growing so keep waiting.

Edited by Scrixx, April 26 2018 - 4:21 PM.

• nurbs, Enderz and TennesseeAnts like this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#3 Offline Enderz - Posted April 26 2018 - 4:37 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

My Camponotus sansabeanus were caught March 30 and I don't think they have larvae yet either, just eggs. It's unlikely that all of them are infertile as Camponotus apparently have a high success rate. Camponotus are known as slow growing so keep waiting.

yes mine aswell, I think i saw like 1 tiny larvae MAYBE. I think it will take like 2-3 months to get workers.

• Karma likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 26 2018 - 6:32 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
My quercicolas that I caught about a week after all you guys got your Camponotus in SoCal have large larvae, third or fourth instar. I heat them to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Edited by YsTheAnt, April 27 2018 - 2:00 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline KBant - Posted April 27 2018 - 1:09 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

you gotta boil them for 3 minutes in saltwater so they grow faster but not too much because you still want a runny yolk for the gram.

• Zxirl and TennesseeAnts like this

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted April 27 2018 - 2:02 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Many Camponotus species grow very slow at the start, 4 weeks for eggs to hatch isn't unusal. The larval stage is actually the shortest with the pupa stage taking the longest time.

• LC3, StopSpazzing and TennesseeAnts like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 27 2018 - 10:00 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

My quercicolas that I caught about a week after all you guys got your Camponotus in SoCal have large larvae, third of fourth instar. I heat them to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yeah, if you want them to grow fast, heat is needed. Otherwise expect a slow start as Serafine stated. I also have salsabeans and yeah they are slow, wanted to try heating them but have nothing that gives ambient heat currently.

How are you heating them @ YSTheAnt?

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline Scrixx - Posted April 27 2018 - 11:55 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I just checked on my queens and my Camponotus sansabeanus have larvae now. They're the same size as eggs so they're probably only days old. So about 4 weeks for me from egg to larvae.

Going back to your queen, half of those eggs look odd and deformed. It's possible that you're keeping the test tube too hot and caused the eggs eggs to be not viable. Maybe she's actually infertile but there's no reason not wait either. Either way good luck!

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

#9 Offline anttics - Posted April 27 2018 - 12:26 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Thanks for the help. I keep her in a test tube. In a plaster mold. I have termomether next to the end of the test tube. it reads at 90 degrees. So the closer.to the water the colder..as to give her a gradient. She has her eggs placed 1 inch away form the end. So heading them to deformity might not.be the reason. Worst case scenario she is infertile. What confuses me. Is spare. Caught his queens a week after and he has big larva. And keeping her at lower temps than me. Oh well I guess if I do not see larva in 1 week something is wrong the set up or the queen. Well post back inn a week to give the good or bad news. Thx guys

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted April 27 2018 - 12:56 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't think they're deformed it's just cotton fibres stuck to the eggs.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 27 2018 - 1:59 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

My quercicolas that I caught about a week after all you guys got your Camponotus in SoCal have large larvae, third of fourth instar. I heat them to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yeah, if you want them to grow fast, heat is needed. Otherwise expect a slow start as Serafine stated. I also have salsabeans and yeah they are slow, wanted to try heating them but have nothing that gives ambient heat currently.

How are you heating them @ YSTheAnt?
I have a tube rack with a heating lamp pointed towards the opening. They choose where to keep the brood. The growth might also be due to me putting oak bark in their tube, they chew it up and put it all over the tube :lol:
  • StopSpazzing likes this

#12 Offline anttics - Posted April 27 2018 - 4:06 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
One last question I have gotten very little info about. Some say to feed then after 1 month. The I hear to feed them once nanitics are born. Which one is it. And can the queen last 3 months with out food. Plus feeding the larva. Most queens I hear have nanitics in 1.month. I know these species are huge. Can she survive for 3 months or more.??

#13 Offline KBant - Posted April 27 2018 - 4:26 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

if they are fully claustral, no need to feed! you can give a drop of sugar water every couple weeks if you want, but its not needed. 

once you get your first worker, you can offer sugar water and a small amount of protein, like a cut up cricket, and from then on feed on a more scheduled basis. 

#14 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:08 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Some people feed during founding stage and are very successful (i.e nurbs). Other people decide to wait till workers. I might feed some queens one protein meal during founding, but not always. It is up to you :).

#15 Offline Scrixx - Posted April 28 2018 - 9:38 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I brought up the appearance of the eggs because they should be nice and plump like the picture, not wrinkly. It could be because the eggs are infertile and after a month they're decomposing. Or the heat was too much and without enough humidity the eggs are drying. I would try something else, like a lower heat. Some of those eggs could still be viable if she's not infertile.

Though I also want to point out the color of the eggs. I breed some fish and white opaque eggs are indicative of infertile eggs. I'm not sure it applies to ants but if we compare your eggs and my photo eggs, we can see yours are opaque and one color throughout while mine have two separate colors and they're even separated inside. Think of it as seeing the developing organism within the egg. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline anttics - Posted April 28 2018 - 9:45 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I see what you mean. She might not be fertile. The eggs do not change. I do keep her at 90. I'll try 85 to 88. I'll see if it gets better. There was a heat wave. A few weeks ago. I saw her temp at 93. She was under that for a few hours. Maybe that killed the eggs. So it could be that. Well thx for the help guys.

#17 Offline Enderz - Posted April 28 2018 - 11:04 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Yes, mine have the same eggs as Scrixx, but my C. quercicola has larger eggs than my C. sansabeanus. I don't like they have larvae yet, I am wondering if it is because I am keeping them at around 72-79 F (It fluctuates throughout the day).

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#18 Offline anttics - Posted June 25 2018 - 8:51 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Hello. Well great news. The Queen was fertile. She has 2 little 4mm translucent nanitics. She has also an pupa soon to be enclose. A few eggs and larva. Here is a pic.

This queen loves the heat. I'm keeping her next to 2 camponotus vicinus. Which are halfway into the pencil formicarium. This queen and her nanitics stay at the borser closer to the heat mat.

I'm really looking forward to this species. She barely needs hibernation. She was found at lower altitude hills. Were the coldest it gets its 45 to 40 degrees. 3 months in my garage with out heat mat should do. This species are as big as other mountain camp species. that need to be store in the fridge for hibernation. A disavantage if you ask me. Oh I will be selling my 2 camp vicinus. One has 5 nanitics, larva. She is a super egg laying machine. A top quality specimen. The other has 3 pupa and 5 eggs a healthy specimen. Message me if you are interested. 70$ for the best queen. 50$ for the other once she gets workers. I located at ventura county, and los angeles county limits.

#19 Offline anttics - Posted July 5 2018 - 6:08 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
There was some progress. A 3rd worker enclosed. Also most of the eggs turn to larva as big as the nanitics. I do not see many eggs. I think i saw 1 or 3 if lucky. She is taking her time to lay. But her gaster has grown significantly. So a docen might be coming soon. Here some pics.

#20 Offline anttics - Posted July 10 2018 - 5:43 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I'm sad to inform this colony was atacked by argentine ants. They were the closest to their columm, and took the brunt of the attack. They lost all 5 workers. I manage to save the queen who was fighing for her life. She has all her limbs and just drinked a whole drop of nectar. I think she will live. She managed to saved 2 pupa and 3 larva. I like this species of sansabeanus, because they were found in a place that never goes below 45 degrees. Unlike the ones found in mountains. Very little to no hinernation might be required. She is a fighter. I like her more now. She might have 2 workers in 1 or 2 weeks, and start again.
  • Karma and TennesseeAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users