• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will’s Formica Subsericea Journal!

formica subsericea

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 23 2018 - 5:23 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
So, I caught this queen around late fall and she managed to raise two nanitics before hibernation!
After waking up she layed a few eggs which one is now a pupae, and moved her and her workers into a AC Omni Nest (I only let them have one row of chambers) They seem too like that much better then the test tube! They have blocked off the entrance to the nest. I also noticed that one of the workers is always in a defensive mode no matter what! I hope this colony does well and will post pictures soon when I have the chance!

Edited by Will230145, December 2 2018 - 7:06 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and AntsMaryland like this

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted March 23 2018 - 5:31 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Can't wait to hear more!! Pictures? :D

• LearningAntz likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 23 2018 - 5:57 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Here are some pictures!!!

Here is their current setup, They only have the first row as they blocked off the second!

RkQpkME.jpg

Here is the Queen and workers! 

7Jh9P8C.jpg

FGuX6VL.jpg

Hope you enjoy this journal!!  :D

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted March 23 2018 - 7:45 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Wow what kind of substrate did you use? Looks very sleek and clean, but also natural.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#5 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 24 2018 - 7:03 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Wow what kind of substrate did you use? Looks very sleek and clean, but also natural.

I use orange Repti Sand from ZooMed, It looks darker and rougher when wet but smooth and clean when dry! I really like it, no dust at all except when you move large amounts of it!! 

#6 Offline Will230145 - Posted April 1 2018 - 10:26 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
This queen has died unexpectedly so this journal is now discontinued

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 2 2018 - 3:46 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

That sucks.  :(

#8 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 2 2018 - 7:10 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Hey guys, haven’t been able to check this forum for few months (almost a year)  because I have just been a buys teen. But, I found a new Formica subsericea queen! She wouldn’t lay no matter what. I fed her 2 whole mealworms and she layed 5 eggs the next day!! I am skipping hibernation as she is off terribly but will hibernate next year. I will try to update you guys, and my parents are getting me a new AC hybrid nest for Formica for Christmas! I will make a topic of my review when I get it, happy anting to you who can!!!

Edited by Will230145, December 26 2018 - 7:48 PM.

• Karma likes this

#9 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 26 2018 - 7:52 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Hey guys, some of my friends on the Discord server told me to not worry too much because she has since layed probably around 10 eggs but ate them all. but for christmas I got a new hybrid nest, and Discord told me to mover her in (with it blocked off of course) and she seems to be right at home!!   :D

Edit: I think that when they get big enough, they will (probably) chew away the cotton, am I correct

LUJ8fMJ.jpg

ZpywUSv.jpg

Edited by Will230145, December 26 2018 - 7:59 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#10 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 26 2018 - 8:14 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I would move her into a more suitable setup. In a single chamber of such a large nest, she will not get a proper humidity gradient. A test tube or founding formicarium will work best.

Additionally, she may dessicate in that due to lack of dirnking water.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#11 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 26 2018 - 8:42 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I would move her into a more suitable setup. In a single chamber of such a large nest, she will not get a proper humidity gradient. A test tube or founding formicarium will work best.
Additionally, she may dessicate in that due to lack of dirnking water.

Oh, sorry but I forgot to mention there’s a huge test tube filled with water in case she wants to move back in and to get a drink, I would never forget something that vital :lol:

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 27 2018 - 3:56 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I think it would still be better to move her to a more ideal setup. That chamber will probably fill up at about 20-ish workers. At that point (assuming you're correct about them burrowing out), they would expand to the rest of the nest. However, because AC's new line of Hybrid Nests is so big, they still won't be ready for it. I have an almost three year old colony of F. subsericea with about 100 workers, and they're still too small for a Hybrid Nest. These new large Hybrid Nests would be an acceptable setup for about a 200 worker colony.  Although, mature F. subsericea colonies can reach massive sizes, so they will probably fit it eventually. It'll just take a few years. In antkeeping, too small is always better than too big.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#13 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 27 2018 - 8:52 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I think it would still be better to move her to a more ideal setup. That chamber will probably fill up at about 20-ish workers. At that point (assuming you're correct about them burrowing out), they would expand to the rest of the nest. However, because AC's new line of Hybrid Nests is so big, they still won't be ready for it. I have an almost three year old colony of F. subsericea with about 100 workers, and they're still too small for a Hybrid Nest. These new large Hybrid Nests would be an acceptable setup for about a 200 worker colony.  Although, mature F. subsericea colonies can reach massive sizes, so they will probably fit it eventually. It'll just take a few years. In antkeeping, too small is always better than too big.

Ok, I’m just trying to figure out something she will like. She does terrible in test tubes and my mini hearth is already inhabited...

#14 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 28 2018 - 3:43 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Ok, I’m just trying to figure out something she will like. She does terrible in test tubes and my mini hearth is already inhabited...

Yeah, I have noticed that Formica queens have terrible grips, so smooth test tubes might not be the best for them. But you could try adding a bit of sand (or other substrate). TarHeel Ants' Genesis Test Tube Inserts would also be a good alternative. Another reason she might not be doing so well is because you haven't hibernated her. Of the many F. subsericea queens I've caught, about half of them refused to lay until after hibernation. Formica don't keep brood over winter, so queens won't lay unless they're certain they'll be able to raise nanitics before winter.

EDIT: Heating also helps a lot.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 28 2018 - 3:44 AM.

#15 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 28 2018 - 4:14 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Yeah, I have noticed that Formica queens have terrible grips, so smooth test tubes might not be the best for them. But you could try adding a bit of sand (or other substrate). TarHeel Ants' Genesis Test Tube Inserts would also be a good alternative. Another reason she might not be doing so well is because you haven't hibernated her. Of the many F. subsericea queens I've caught, about half of them refused to lay until after hibernation. Formica don't keep brood over winter, so queens won't lay unless they're certain they'll be able to raise nanitics before winter.

She’s in a test tube with sand and a heating cable now, thanks for the help!

Edit: she has layed 3 eggs now!

Edited by Will230145, December 28 2018 - 4:15 PM.

#16 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 29 2018 - 3:38 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

She’s in a test tube with sand and a heating cable now, thanks for the help!

Edit: she has layed 3 eggs now!

No problem!

#17 Offline LearningAntz - Posted December 29 2018 - 6:23 PM

LearningAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park, AB (Canada)

Formica with terrible grip? When I caught my queens I needed to wait for my test tubes to arrive so I left them in a container with a baby powder barrier and I found some roaming around the floor randomly the following day. One even made its way into my shirt somehow...

#18 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 29 2018 - 6:53 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Formica with terrible grip? When I caught my queens I needed to wait for my test tubes to arrive so I left them in a container with a baby powder barrier and I found some roaming around the floor randomly the following day. One even made its way into my shirt somehow...

Seriously :lol: My queen falls every 2 seconds  %)

#19 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 29 2018 - 7:00 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

12/29/18

My queen needs a name, something "magestic"  :lol:  

Anyways, she seems to have either hidden or eaten her eggs when i moved her into a test tube. I added a bunch of sand and she seems more "happy" from what i can see!! She has been cleaning the tip of her gaster  lot so that's promising! But in the pics below she was on the wall and fell so yeah, she can't climb lol.

MRr5zC9.jpg

5ee92Ot.jpg

#20 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 30 2018 - 12:22 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

This is just from my experience, and only with F. subsericea. F. subsericea queens just seem extra clumsy (especially when fattened up or are about to lay eggs).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users