• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which ant species of these are a good started species

ants begginer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatLord - Posted March 2 2018 - 8:39 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationGreece-Chalkida

So I've been wanting to get another colony buy one i have a small lasius niger colony (20 workers) and I've been wanting to have 2 colonies (i won't get them now in about 2 months just wanna know which one is better for begginers)

MESSOR CF WASMANNI

LASIUS FLAVUS

MESSOR BARBARUS

MESSOR BARBARUS RED HEAD

iam buying them from this website: https://www.antsrus.com/

its a nice guy and website :)

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted March 2 2018 - 9:37 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Hi,

I would start with a Messor species. Messor barbarus can be a little bit challenging if starting from a single queen, but if you buy a small colony you should be fine. Messor wasmanni is similar. Lasius flavus is an underground species so maybe not the best one to start if you want to have a lot to observe.

• LC3 and VoidElecent like this

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted March 2 2018 - 9:58 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Messor barbarus can be bought cheap and easily, Anthouse.es sells small colonies for effectively 11€ (the ants are free, the shipping is 11€) which is really cheap.

Edited by Serafine, March 2 2018 - 9:58 AM.

• Reevak likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline CatLord - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:32 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

ok thank you messor barbarus it is will get that that's what everyone else told me to get when i asked but just wanted your guys opinion aswell thanks!

#5 Offline CatLord - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:33 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Messor barbarus can be bought cheap and easily, Anthouse.es sells small colonies for effectively 11€ (the ants are free, the shipping is 11€) which is really cheap.

Yea about anthouse.es should i trust it cause when i found it i thought it was some sort of scam cause like they're free should i trust them?

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:49 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Anthouse.es is a very reliable source. They usually sell for educational purposes that's why their ants are so cheap (they also only have species that are native in their area, they don't sell any exotic ants). Also note that they often send 2 colonies (when you order 1), so be prepared for that to happen

Messor barbarus is a great species but be aware that they can be a bit difficult sometimes. They grow quite fast and when they have reached a certain colony size they will start to completely smash your decorations. These ants LOVE to dig, build and generally modify their environment as much as possible. They can carve out bottom substrate, cut up artificial plants, make gardens (they even water seeds that are germinating), combine different materials to build tunnels and hills, chew through ytong/plaster/gypsum/hydrostone, move even heavy objects, completely unroot and move plants, they're really really good at making feeders leak and sometimes they even chew on vinyl tubing (and if the vinyl tubing is too thin they can cut holes in it).

Edited by Serafine, March 2 2018 - 10:52 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#7 Offline CatLord - Posted March 2 2018 - 12:59 PM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Sound intresting i will definetely give them a try!

#8 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 2 2018 - 7:59 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Anthouse.es is a very reliable source. They usually sell for educational purposes that's why their ants are so cheap (they also only have species that are native in their area, they don't sell any exotic ants). Also note that they often send 2 colonies (when you order 1), so be prepared for that to happen

Messor barbarus is a great species but be aware that they can be a bit difficult sometimes. They grow quite fast and when they have reached a certain colony size they will start to completely smash your decorations. These ants LOVE to dig, build and generally modify their environment as much as possible. They can carve out bottom substrate, cut up artificial plants, make gardens (they even water seeds that are germinating), combine different materials to build tunnels and hills, chew through ytong/plaster/gypsum/hydrostone, move even heavy objects, completely unroot and move plants, they're really really good at making feeders leak and sometimes they even chew on vinyl tubing (and if the vinyl tubing is too thin they can cut holes in it).

Wow. The way you described them made them seem so human.

#9 Offline CatLord - Posted March 3 2018 - 3:14 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Is baby powder with rubbing alchol a good barrier for messor barbarus and lasius flavus cause i don't have enought money for fluon maybe i will get some fluon one day just wanna know some good barriers for Messor Barbarus And Lasius Flavus! thanks!

#10 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 3 2018 - 8:14 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
Do they ship worldwide even though it is illegal, It was going to let me order to the US, I was wondering if it would even let you?

#11 Offline CatLord - Posted March 3 2018 - 9:23 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Do they ship worldwide even though it is illegal, It was going to let me order to the US, I was wondering if it would even let you?

They do ship in greece where i live but i think its illegal in america  but in europe and the uk iam sure its legal i don't really know about other countries sorry man maybe google it i know that its only illegal in america 

#12 Offline Hunter - Posted March 3 2018 - 9:24 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

you could always try Echinocereus triglochidiatus they can be shipped to

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 3 2018 - 12:51 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Why would you buy Messor when you live in Greece. They are found everywhere there. 

But yeah I will also suggest Messor.

Edited by Jonathan21700, March 3 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted March 3 2018 - 2:10 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Is baby powder with rubbing alchol a good barrier for messor barbarus and lasius flavus cause i don't have enought money for fluon maybe i will get some fluon one day just wanna know some good barriers for Messor Barbarus And Lasius Flavus! thanks!

A baby powder barrier should be completely sufficient for Messor barbarus. They're quite big ants and they aren't really good climbers anyway, they will often fall from the glass even before reaching the barrier.

If they break out they usually don't do that by climbing out of their tank (if it has a barrier), it's more likely that they chew through tubing or the nest itself or manage to somehow lift the nest's lid (I know of someone who had a nest lid lifted even though it was held in place with clamps).

Not sure how well baby powder works for Lasius flavus (generally the smaller an ant is the more likely it is able to cross a powder barrier) but if it works for species like Solenopsis geminata it should work for Lasius flavus as well.

#15 Offline CatLord - Posted March 4 2018 - 7:04 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Why would you buy Messor when you live in Greece. They are found everywhere there. 

But yeah I will also suggest Messor.

first of all yea i have ordered like 50 test tubes i have none i can't catch any cause its no their season(i don't think so anyways) ill try to catch some once i have the test tubes i ordered :) their season is septemper-october

Edited by CatLord, March 4 2018 - 7:55 AM.

#16 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 4 2018 - 9:10 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Also M. structor fly in April so you can try to find some. I'm not sure how common they are where you live but they should be found in all of the country.

Edited by Jonathan21700, March 4 2018 - 9:13 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, begginer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users