• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Post Hibernation Heating

after hibernation camponotus heating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KBant - Posted February 10 2018 - 3:09 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
So I’ve chillled my camponotus modocs in the fridge for a little over three months. The queen is alive but I lost 5 of the 20+ workers. I’ve kept them at room temperature for a few days after taking them out of the fridge, and wanted to know, when do you start heating your colony again? Thanks in advance!

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 11 2018 - 2:13 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

So I’ve chillled my camponotus modocs in the fridge for a little over three months. The queen is alive but I lost 5 of the 20+ workers. I’ve kept them at room temperature for a few days after taking them out of the fridge, and wanted to know, when do you start heating your colony again? Thanks in advance!

I generally do a month - two after. In the wild it wouldn't start getting "warm" or "hot" until a few months after they emerge.
  • nurbs likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 14 2018 - 7:08 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
you might try heating only the outworld for the first month. I suspect that they'll then try to warm themselves in the outworld and then use their warm bodies as a vector for transferring the warth to the nest (if they want to). This gives them a bit more natural way to adjust the heat on their own at first. I've never actually done this, but I will try it this spring.
~Dan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: after, hibernation, camponotus, heating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users