• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Terrarium Colony Size

terrarium vivarium formica formica subsericea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 5 2018 - 8:20 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have a fairly large tank that I'm planning on turning into a vivarium. I don't have the exact measurements for the tank, but I''m estimating it's somewhere around 3.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 feet. Of the ants I have, I've decided that Formica subsericea would be best fit. What size should the colony be at before I add them in?

• Skwiggledork likes this

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted January 5 2018 - 8:42 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I'm a complete newbie, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, but in the wild colonies don't have a limited space, so you could put them in at any size and they will survive. With that said you probably want to wait until you have a pretty large colony, just so you see them.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted January 5 2018 - 11:54 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Twenty workers is a perfect size for introducing a colony to a terrarium. you won't see them to much at first but they will grow super fast. I put a colony of Formica in a tank in May-ish, they only had twenty workers but now they have at least 150-175.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 8 2018 - 10:45 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

That colony size sounds fine for a terrarium. You just need to keep in consideration that you'll have to move them eventually and that you'll have tons of displaced dirt dug out by the colony (so you'll need to have relatively few plants and some sort of tool to remove the dirt)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: terrarium, vivarium, formica, formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users