• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is Ytong Okay For Camponotus?

camponotus carpenter ants camponotus pennsylvanicus ytong hebel hebel stone aac antsaustraila camponotus nearcticus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:21 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So, quick question. I'm looking into various formicaria for my two Camponotus colonies: C. pennsylvanicus and C. nearcticus. I have been particularly interested in AntsAustralia's Ytong formicaria. I know the the owner of AntsAustralia keeps his Camponotus sp. in Ytong, but I've only seen small colonies in there. Also, many Australian Camponotus nest in dirt, and don't have the destructive power of wood dwelling species. Would Ytong formicaria be okay for mature colonies of wood-dwelling Camponotus, or should I look for other more suitable formicaria? Thank you!

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 1 2017 - 6:11 PM.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:55 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

A lot of people use Ytong for Camponotus, I don't see any problem. So yeah, I'd use it.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted December 1 2017 - 5:11 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

So, quick question. I'm looking into various formicaria for my two Camponotus colonies: C. pennsylvanicus and C. nearcticus. I have been particularly interested in AntsAustralia's Ytong formicaria. I know the the owner of AntsAustralia keeps his Camponotus sp. in Ytong, but I've only seen small colonies in there. Also, many Australian Camponotus nest in dirt, and don't have the destructive power of wood dwelling species. Would Ytong formicaria be okay for mature colonies of wood-dwelling camponotus, or should I look for other more suitable formicaria? Thank you!

When colonies get bigger, they will be able to chew their way out. Also shipping Y-tong to America from Australia will basically double the amount the Formicarium costs.

• FeedTheAnts and Mettcollsuss like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 1 2017 - 6:10 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Well maybe not for the C. pennsylvanicus, which can reach 10,000+ workers, but what about C. nearcticus? They have a maximum size of 500 workers, and they typically don't burrow, but liv in cavities that are already there, like pine cones of hollow stems. The thing is, I can't find many other formicaria that have tunnels large enough for C. pennsylvanicus that are also within a reasonable price range.

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 2 2017 - 4:15 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

What about the AntsAustralia's acrylic nest? Camponotus can't dig through them, but the depth of the chambers is only 9mm. Is that too small for C. pennsylvanicus?

#6 Offline Hunter - Posted December 2 2017 - 7:45 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

i have seen some of my majors chew threw grout so i would say treed carefully

#7 Offline Hunter - Posted December 2 2017 - 7:46 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

What about the AntsAustralia's acrylic nest? Camponotus can't dig through them, but the depth of the chambers is only 9mm. Is that too small for C. pennsylvanicus?

acrylic should be good as it is smooth so they can't get there mandibles around it

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 2 2017 - 10:03 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

acrylic should be good as it is smooth so they can't get there mandibles around it

But would C. pennsylvanicus fit in it? It's a lot larger than C. nearcticus.

#9 Offline Hunter - Posted December 2 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

i would ask for it larger, or look at antkit

#10 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 2 2017 - 11:34 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

i would ask for it larger, or look at antkit

Thanks!

#11 Offline Hunter - Posted December 2 2017 - 3:42 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

yup

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, carpenter ants, camponotus pennsylvanicus, ytong, hebel, hebel stone, aac, antsaustraila, camponotus nearcticus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users