• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pseudomyrmecophiles

myrmecophile cockroach millipede springtail isopod cricket etc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 11 2017 - 3:08 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!

I've recently been seeing numerous arthropods within ant nests, ranging from the diminutive subterranean springtail to the fairly large Mymecophila cricket. After many months of table log and rock flipping, I noticed a trend: certain immature arthropods seem to live inside ant nests until they reach their later instars, despite the fact that those arthropods can survive fine on their own (I've given them the nickname "Pseudomymrecophiles"). Here's a short list:

Unidentified cockroach species nymphs: This species seems quite common in Citronella Lasius and Formica nests. Interestingly, some individuals tend to stay in the nest for their entire life. From what I've observed, they function as nest-cleaners (they eat the garbage from ant midden piles and nests).

Prickly Millipedes: I occasionally find tiny and prickly millipede species inside of Ponera and Aphaenogaster nests. This species is most likely a scavenger. Even though it purposefully nests with ants, it has several built-in defenses against them, such as porcupine-like quills (maybe toxic?). It stays in nests for at least its adult stage.

Springtails: Where I live, there are two dominant springtail species: the subterranean myrmecophile springtails and the giant gray springtails. The giant gray species actually sometimes nests in ant brood chambers as a juvenile. Sadly, though, this species is often targeted by ants by the time it reaches its final molt.

Isopod: Several juvenile individuals of sowbugs occasionally appear within ant nests. Rather than living permanently in the nest, they seem to travel in and out.

Field crickets: Tiny nymphs of this species sometimes hang around ant nests with large, empty corridors (like Formica nests). These crickets get no special protection from the ants, and I've seen many individuals hunted down by workers.

"Running" aphids: My backyard is populated by several colonies of Lasius flavus and Lasius claviger. Whenever I flip rocks with these species underneath, I often find aphids. Recently, I've been noticing a strange species of aphid within the nests. When they get uncovered, they often run away. The ants make no effort to pick up these aphids, and they often just watch them leave. This species is like the aphid version of the subterranean leafhoppers (the ones with the plumed tails).

Since I'm going to continue editing this list, feel free to bring up new finds!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecophile, cockroach, millipede, springtail, isopod, cricket, etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users