• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Young Tetramorium Colony Feeding Question

tetramorium food diet feeding tetramorium caespitum tetramorium sp. e nanitics young colony small colony

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:06 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So a Tetramorium sp. E queen that I caught recently got her nanitics. The colony is about five workers with an average pile of brood. I am keeping them in a test tube setup, which I attached to an AntsCanada Test Tube Portal to serve as a miniature outworld. I placed a small square or tinfoil with a drop of honey on it in the outworld. Twelve days later, I checked on them again. Same number of workers and brood, and they haven't touched the honey. They know the outworld is there, as they have a small graveyard with a single dead worker. If there is a reason they are ignoring the food, please let me know. I'm getting worried that they're not eating. Note: this is my very first colony; I'm new to antkeeping.

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:39 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

l would not worry too much. They probably consumed so honey when you weren't looking as they are a very small colony right now. What you might want to do is also offer them a piece of mealworm or a cricket leg or something. Offer them a protein let's say every Wednesday and offer them some honey every Saturday. Keep the food in until it's time to trade it out. I wouldn't worry too much as they are such an easy and fun species to keep. Please tell me if you have any more questions. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Good Luck. Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

• Mettcollsuss and Steph-Tronix like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:47 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

l would not worry too much. They probably consumed so honey when you weren't looking as they are a very small colony right now. What you might want to do is also offer them a piece of mealworm or a cricket leg or something. Offer them a protein let's say every Wednesday and offer them some honey every Saturday. Keep the food in until it's time to trade it out. I wouldn't worry too much as they are such an easy and fun species to keep. Please tell me if you have any more questions. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Good Luck. Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

Thanks! As I said before I'm new, so this is very useful. I actually already raise crickets to feed my 3 green tree frogs, so I already have them. Also, one more question: I ordered an AntsCanada hybrid nest for them, but because they're so small I don't thing moving them in at the standard 25-50 workers would be a good idea. What size should the colony be before I move them in?

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:53 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

wait until they are about 100 workers. What I recommend is go to Safeway or some kind of grocery store near you and buy medium size disposable Tupperware containers. Put your barrier around at the top. Put the test tube in and remove the cotton so they can get out. This will act as their own mini outworld. When they outgrow that test tube you can move them into the hybrid nest. Or, you can wait a little longer and add another test tube set up right next to it and they will also use that one. This works perfectly for me. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Good Luck Again. Feel free to ask any more questions. Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

• Steph-Tronix likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 29 2017 - 10:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Let me be an example for someone who hasn't established a good feeding order yet. I'll feed my Tetramoriums .... ... I can't remember the last time I did. That any indication?

....oh yeah I made a CPK pizza yesterday...JUST so I could give them a piece of chicken off of it....Clearly that didn't happen. 

Whenever I give them food now...they keep on burring it in sand. I need to make a new post about them... They are hardy lil' goobers. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, food, diet, feeding, tetramorium caespitum, tetramorium sp. e, nanitics, young colony, small colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users