• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Perfect Formicarium

portland cement grout hydrostone ants nest plaster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KBant - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:27 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I am doing my research on building the perfect formicarium and need everyones help.  

I have an idea of what my design will be but i would like to ask the members here about specifics.

What are absolutes for a successful formicarium? i understand any formicarium needs to have decent aeration, hydration in the form of humidity, a heat source, and enough space, but not too much! and of course connection to an outworld. 

also, What is your ideal substrate for a nest? Is it hydrostone? grout? ytong? i wanted to try portland cement. Now, portland cement may not absorb water and hold it like ytong or hydrostone but so long as i have a water source and aeration i should be able to provide proper and safe humidity correct?

it would be way cheaper to buy from tarheel as i like their designs but i would like to help further the hobby by promoting DIY Formicaria / nests. 

once i have enough data i will trial my designs and post a journal here. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Edited by KBant, August 13 2017 - 7:29 PM.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 5:20 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I am doing my research on building the perfect formicarium and need everyones help.  

What is your ideal substrate for a nest? Is it hydrostone? grout? ytong?

i wanted to try portland cement. Now, portland cement may not absorb water and hold it like ytong or hydrostone but so long as i have a water source and aeration i should be able to provide proper and safe humidity correct?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:58 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

It depends on the person, but I would think that the "ideal" formicarium would be light and have dry and humid areas so that the ants can pick and choose where to keep their brood.

#4 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 14 2017 - 12:15 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

One of the best in my opinion. 

Pictures: http://www.biodivers...ray-mendez.html

Edited by Jonathan21700, August 14 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Offline KBant - Posted August 14 2017 - 2:45 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

thanks johnathon! i really enjoyed that video! 

i saw this other youtuber who makes nests from grout and they are beautiful!!!

anyone know where i can get glass for cheap?? i saw walmart has multiple picture frames for cheap but is there another way? i love the magnet idea to hold the glass over silicone

Edited by KBant, August 14 2017 - 2:50 PM.

#6 Offline CNewton - Posted August 15 2017 - 7:59 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I go to the dollar store for glass from picture frames. It's very thin, but cut to a useable size. Hell, for a buck, I can afford another if I mess up that badly. That video is great, really gets me thinking. 10gal tanks are very easy to come by for cheap. That might be a fun project.  

#7 Offline KBant - Posted August 24 2017 - 6:54 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

i have a question regarding easy removal of a newly poured grout formicarium from a clear acrylic box. I've seen different cooking oils used but is there a better alternative? one that is stronger?

can one use wd40 or a silicone based lubricant spray?  

btw i will be using  4" x 4" x 5-1/16" h clear flush-lid amac boxes. 

https://www.containe...A7-A8B12B86AF52

thanks in advance!

Edited by KBant, August 24 2017 - 8:54 PM.

#8 Offline Bryce - Posted August 24 2017 - 8:29 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
Those amac boxes are what I use for alot my out worlds. I really like them and they are dirt cheap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portland cement, grout, hydrostone, ants, nest, plaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users