• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Surrey (Guildford), British Columbia, Canada (2017-08-01)

ant queen queen ant id request

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline proto - Posted August 1 2017 - 10:44 PM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Google Photos Album

I found these queen ants of various species pretty much in the same patch of grass about 10 sqft at the base of a tree near the end of my driveway close to the street.

SPECIES 1 QUEEN ANT #53

1. Location of Collection: Surrey, British Columbia

2. Date of Collection: 2017-08-01

3. Habitat of Collection: Digging around in the short grass about half foot from street side, 2 feet from the base of the tree.

4. Length:  5.5mm

5. Coloration: mostly brown/reddish color, legs are light brown.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, petiole and post-petiole nodes present, two points at the end of the thorax, lots of fine hairs

7. Distinguishing behavior: moves quickly when panic, moves slowly when looking for nesting ground, very elusive moving under the grass, climbs fairly well even with insecti-slip applied to sides (but moves slowly up establishing grip).

SPECIES 2 QUEEN ANT #54 (Probably same as #53)

3. Habitat of Collection: Digging around in the short grass about couple inches from driveway, 3 feet from the base of the tree.

4. Length:  5.5mm

5. Coloration: mostly brown/reddish color, legs are light brown.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, petiole and post-petiole nodes present, two points at the end of the thorax, lots of fine hairs, hasn't shed wings

7. Distinguishing behavior: moves quickly when panic, moves slowly when looking for nesting ground, climbs fairly well.

SPECIES 3 QUEEN ANT #55

3. Habitat of Collection: Wandering around in the short grass about 2 feet from driveway, 1 ft from the base of the tree.

4. Length:  9mm

5. Coloration: mostly black and some brown coloration at joints and legs.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, smooth, narrow thorax

7. Distinguishing behavior: frightens easily, moves quickly, falls easily with insectislip barrier.

SPECIES 4 QUEEN ANT #56

3. Habitat of Collection: Wandering around in the short grass about 2 feet from driveway, 1 ft from the base of the tree.

4. Length:  10mm

5. Coloration: mostly black and some brown coloration at joints and legs.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 12 antennae segments, smooth, wide thorax, fine hairs around gaster

7. Distinguishing behavior: stands idle a lot and doesn't panic when disturbed, falls easily with insectislip barrier.

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

#2 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted August 1 2017 - 11:25 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

#55 and #56 are lasius and #53 and #54 may be pheidole.

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#3 Offline proto - Posted August 2 2017 - 4:23 AM

proto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia, Canada

#55 and #56 are lasius and #53 and #54 may be pheidole.

I was thinking 56 could be more like the F. podzolica that i caught before from it's coloration and sheer size; I guess it could be a larger Lasius (the one's i caught that were Lasius in this region before were between 7-8.5mm.  I'm not sure if Pheidole is present in this region, but correct me if I'm wrong; I was thinking 53-54 could be a Myrmica sp. (maybe rubra? Leptothorax muscorum seems to have darker heads from images i've seen).

I'm new to this as of May 2017 and I'd have to say that this site is such an amazing resource. Having pros helping to ID ants is incredible and super helpful.  I will be applying to GAN Project for Vancouver (lower mainland) once I have some worker colonies as per Ants Canada.

• Formica podzolica (12)
  • Lasius alienus (33)
  • Myrmica sp. (3)

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 2 2017 - 5:07 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

1. Myrmica sp.

2. Myrmica sp.

3. Lasius cf. pallitarsis

4. Lasius cf. alienus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant queen, queen ant, id request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users