• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

UV light help

nuptial flight queens uv lights

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted July 26 2017 - 9:11 PM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
As I started to look for better ways to catch queens after the abomination that has been this nuptial flight season I stumbled across the UV light idea. I've read about them a bit but I have a few questions:

1. Links for long lasting UV bulbs?

2. Where should I set them up?
a. Front yard with many trees and a main road?
b. Over Grown backyard with trees and various other plants?
c. Anywhere else?

3. Any other useful information regarding UV setups or, more broadly, catching queen ants.

Thanks In advance😀

If your wondering I caught a total of 1 queen so far!!!
Hope to catch some Crematogaster...

Edited by Lukas2021, July 26 2017 - 9:11 PM.

#2 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 27 2017 - 6:03 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Ants and other bugs are attracted to uv light. Their are different forms of uv light and the forms that they are most attracted to are called UV-A and UV-B. It doesn't need to be specifically a uv light though, it could also be a fluorescent light because they also emit uv light. For more information look here: http://www.formicult...ueens/?hl=light

Edited by Aquaexploder, July 27 2017 - 6:05 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flight, queens, uv lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users