• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID - Cloudcroft, NM

id nm worker

Best Answer cpman , June 30 2017 - 12:49 PM

I think it is Myrmecocystus sp. -- in the last photo, you can see the long palps that distinguish the genus. I'm not familiar enough with the genus to guess as to the species.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline The_Kahndawg - Posted June 29 2017 - 4:30 PM

The_Kahndawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Just outside of Cloudcroft, NM. Bridal Veil Falls hiking trail
2. Date of collection: 6/27/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Just outside of a desert scrub environment. This trail is in the mountains and has some trees with a mix of both coniferous and deciduous. ~6,000ft elevation
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~9.5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Head is a dark reddish brown. Rest of the ant is black, very dull.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Unsure 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Ant seems to be very docile. I am able to handle this ant without it getting excited and sprinting around or biting.

Ant 1
Ant 2
Bridal Veil Falls
Ant 3

Edited by The_Kahndawg, June 30 2017 - 7:25 AM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 29 2017 - 10:31 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I would say Myrmecocystus mimicus, but I'm also not incredibly familiar with Southwestern ants so you may want to look a little deeper into it.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 30 2017 - 4:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Most likely a Myrmecocystus but the photo is not good enough I am going to stick my neck out beyond probably. However the only other option would be a Formica.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 30 2017 - 6:06 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It's good to provide photos from more than one angle for an ID request. Also, we don't have permission to view the full-sized images.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline The_Kahndawg - Posted June 30 2017 - 7:27 AM

The_Kahndawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Thank you all for the advice! This is my first time posting here, and I appreciate all the help you can give. I have uploaded one more photo of the ant and will take more later when my phone is fully charged. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help with this ID. It means a lot to me, so thank you once again!

#6 Offline cpman - Posted June 30 2017 - 12:49 PM   Best Answer

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I think it is Myrmecocystus sp. -- in the last photo, you can see the long palps that distinguish the genus. I'm not familiar enough with the genus to guess as to the species.

#7 Offline antsnewmexico - Posted July 16 2017 - 8:21 PM

antsnewmexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

myrmecocystus mimicus worker

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id, nm, worker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users