• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant theft in Germany

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Barristan - Posted April 23 2017 - 10:53 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

According to German newspaper sueddeutsche 300 ants (or colonies) were stolen from German ant shop myants.de. A 19 year old employee tried to sell the ants via ebay. The whole thing leaked out after a request by shop owner's friend. After that the police made a house search and found the stolen colonies. The colonies are worth €3500.

According to German law buyers of stolen goods never become owners of these goods so they have to give the ant colonies back to the shop.

• dermy and ctantkeeper like this

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted April 23 2017 - 11:11 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

:blink:

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Subverted - Posted April 23 2017 - 11:38 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I would love to know what the police thought about having to handle this case.

"He stole your what???"

"My ants, officer."

"Your aunt? How did he do that?"

"No my ants, sir."

"I think we have some spray for that somewhere here..."

"But I want them back!"

"You WANT ants?"

• dermy, ctantkeeper, Barristan and 6 others like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 23 2017 - 2:16 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Ha ha.

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted April 23 2017 - 3:00 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

That's ironic. Having some 300 ants stolen that were previously taken away from their natural habitat. 

Edited by Martialis, April 24 2017 - 3:20 AM.

• Jonathan21700 likes this
Spoiler

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 23 2017 - 3:19 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Lmao. That's really funny! Thanks for sharing.

YJK

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted April 23 2017 - 3:20 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't think it was 300 colonies. Probably more like 15-20 colonies with 20-30 ants each.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#8 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 23 2017 - 3:21 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I don't think it was 300 colonies. Probably more like 15-20 colonies with 20-30 ants each.

I agree. The ants in MyAnts and other German Shops are super expensive.

YJK

#9 Offline Formicarius - Posted April 23 2017 - 4:14 PM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

If I'm thinking about the right guy here then I saw a lot of them on eBay Kleinanzeigen.

They were pretty much all exotic species founding colonies. Prices were pretty low compared to what these usually sell at, think this was most likely because the thief wanted to sell them ASAP.

There was even a small Atta spec. colony sold for 70€ I think? Pretty good price considering that you never see those below 100€+ on the german ant market.

Well exotic ant collectors have to somehow pay for their travel expenses. Their profit margin probably isn't that high either.

Asian ants are usually cheaper though because those just get imported from asian wholesale traders most of the time.

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 23 2017 - 4:47 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

If I'm thinking about the right guy here then I saw a lot of them on eBay Kleinanzeigen.
They were pretty much all exotic species founding colonies. Prices were pretty low compared to what these usually sell at, think this was most likely because the thief wanted to sell them ASAP.
There was even a small Atta spec. colony sold for 70€ I think? Pretty good price considering that you never see those below 100€+ on the german ant market.

Well exotic ant collectors have to somehow pay for their travel expenses. Their profit margin probably isn't that high either.
Asian ants are usually cheaper though because those just get imported from asian wholesale traders most of the time.
I never said they were over-priced... They are priced at a good rate. Asian ants are really cheap bought from sellers. Yinzhu Li, Lao J just to name two.

YJK

#11 Offline Reacker - Posted April 23 2017 - 5:22 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

What is your reasoning for saying this? What information from a credible source do you have to make such a statement? 

I never said they were over-priced... They are priced at a good rate. Asian ants are really cheap bought from sellers. Yinzhu Li, Lao J just to name two. 

Though of course you, being an under supervised American preteen with your parents credit card and a known history of illegally trading ants across US state boundaries, wouldn't know anything about that first hand. 

• dermy, LC3, Martialis and 4 others like this

#12 Offline Serafine - Posted April 24 2017 - 12:34 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

What is your reasoning for saying this? What information from a credible source do you have to make such a statement?

I took a look at the myants website and the size of the colonies they usually sell.
Which you could have done as well if you hadn't chosen the lazy way of preemptive complaining.

#13 Offline Deluga - Posted April 24 2017 - 1:28 AM

Deluga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Those are some really expensive ants, specially because the colony is so small.

But funny story anyways.

Keeper of:

1x Camponotus herculeanus

1x Camponotus sylvaticus

1x Formica cinerea

1x Formica fusca

1x Formica lemani

1x Lasius flavus

2x Lasius niger

#14 Offline Reacker - Posted April 24 2017 - 3:17 AM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I took a look at the myants website and the size of the colonies they usually sell.
Which you could have done as well if you hadn't chosen the lazy way of preemptive complaining.

What evidence do you have to support your assertion that there is any correlation between the number of colonies that they have on their site vs the number of colonies that they may have had to be stolen? I can think of several possible reasons why they might not post their entire inventory for sale at all times. 

To make it clear what I'm getting at, I'm saying that once again you're pulling shoddy logic and baseless assertions from the infinitely abundant wellspring of manure that is your [censored]. 

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 24 2017 - 3:29 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I can authoritatively say that there were a million colonies with four ants each. Time to conclude this thread.

Catch your queens local, people.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 24 2017 - 3:30 AM.

• Jonathan21700, Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users