• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Workers rejecting queen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ozz - Posted April 13 2017 - 5:35 PM

Ozz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, my 1st colony of iridomyrmex have had a rough life to say the least as I made many mistakes with them.
The last mistake was the worst, the test tube wasn't secure in their small out world and it dropped, flinging brood, workers and the queen over a long shag rug...
Managed to collect about 20 workers and a bit of brood but could not find the queen. The remaining workers seemed to be taking care of the brood without seeming to worry the queen was gone.
2 days later I found the queen wandering around up the other end of the house so I was able to re unite them.
Problem now, when I put the queen with them, they immediately start chasing and attacking her? She runs for her life. They are now seperated.
I am 99% certain it is their queen and not a random.
Is this normal? I thought they would have been happy..
Thanks

#2 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted April 13 2017 - 6:36 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I am still new to ant behavior, and I do not know why the workers are attacking the queens. Maybe the ants perceive the queen as a different one or something else is the issue. However, if you want the workers want to accept the queen maybe try something similar to the video. 

I know this video is for a queen, but hear me out. You can try to put the queen in a test tube,closed off by cotton. The cotton will isolate the queen and not let her escape the test tube. Next, put the test tube with the queen in the out world, so the workers are able to interact with the queen but not attack her. If the workers accept the queen. then put the queen onto the out world so the workers and queen can reunite. If the workers try to attack the queen, while she is in the test tube then keep introducing the queen daily to the workers. This no way any guarantee the queen will be accepted, but this my two cents on the matter. In addition, and some water for the queen to drink in the test tube, just in case the workers do not accept the queen. 

I have not done much research about the species, but the genus is known to be aggressive to invaders, so that can be a reason for the aggression on the queen.

Tweaks: In your post you describe the outworld as small, if a test tube is too big, perhaps try a small substitute. For example, a small plastic container which you drill small holes to allow the queen to breathe and to allow the workers to interact with the queen. Also, you can connect the test tube to a vinyl tube leading to the small outworld, which allows the ants to interact with the queen whenever they want. 

Edited by MrPurpleB, April 13 2017 - 6:38 PM.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted April 13 2017 - 6:39 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Are you sure they were actually trying to kill her and not just aimed at subduing her? Workers can be pretty harsh on their queens sometimes.

Edited by Serafine, April 13 2017 - 6:40 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted April 13 2017 - 6:46 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Are you sure they were actually trying to kill her and not just aimed at subduing her? Workers can be pretty harsh on their queens sometimes.

I did not think about that. These ants are know to be dominant and aggressive. Maybe the "attacks" are just a more violent form of subduing the queen. Thanks for pointing that out. :D 

#5 Offline Ozz - Posted April 13 2017 - 8:17 PM

Ozz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the replies.
They were pulling at her legs and she was rolling around squirming trying to get away. They didn't follow her, just whenever she went near the brood. Maybe they weren't trying to kill her? I didn't leave her in to find out.
Probably see if she will start out on her own again. Not fussed as they are just pavement ants, but I don't want to see her slaughtered..

Thanks

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted April 14 2017 - 12:10 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Queens usually can't start over once they're beyond the founding stage. It's like as if they forgot how to care for themselves or their brood.

You could try to offer her a fruit fly and some honey - maybe she was hungry and tried to eat and egg and the workers didn't like that.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users