• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
2107 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 22 2017 - 12:43 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

POPULAR

Hey guys. Decided to start this thread dedicated to pull together local anters to report any myrmelogical sightings (nuptial flights, rare species found, etc.) for Massachusetts, and nearby states like RI, CT, NH, VT and ME. We have a very active ACAF Topic regarding flights that is enormously useful, but I think this thread would fit the purpose of also anything non-flight wise (but also flight-wise); I also think people with email subsriptions on that thread might get a little ticked that all we were talking about is "Ohhh... I found an (insert species here) worker in (insert habitat and location)" instead of anything regarding mating activity, which is pretty much what it is strictly meant for in the first place. I know there are a few active MA anters around here but also from other places in New England.

With temperatures slowly rising, and even some foraging activity in a warm streak last late-February, I thought this was a good time to make this, and pull all of our New England Anters together so we don't miss anything helpful being said.

Also, I'm likely to be very active on this. Expect me to record and note everything I see outside regarding ants, no matter how significant it is.  :lol:

• ctantkeeper, Salmon, randeee and 8 others like this

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 22 2017 - 3:41 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Like others, I'm just frustrated from the 70s we had as a tease a couple weeks back.   

Yesterday was another tease as saw flies and other stuff out as in the 50s.  Soon :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 23 2017 - 2:56 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I have been seeing flies too. These weird long ones that you always find on the side of your house.

#4 Offline randeee - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:51 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I look forward to all the posts when spring and summer arrive :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 23 2017 - 10:35 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I look forward to all the posts when spring and summer arrive :)

Hey there! I never noticed you were from MA.

And don't forget fall, where the famous Lasius neoniger fly.  ;)

Edited by Nathant2131, March 23 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 24 2017 - 11:04 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

2/24/17

Methuen, MA

Last February when we had the warm weekend where it was high sixties and low seventies, Prenolepis imparis were starting to get very active foraging for the first time this year. I noticed there is never a worker a few feet away from a tree. They group up at the base of them, climb them, and scale small branches and drink sap like there is no tomorrow. No alates were spotted. So if any of you want to spot P. imparis, look in grassy areas where there is a small ecosystem of a sparse amount of hardwood trees. This is the only type of habitat I have found them in, despite them being a common species for me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rdFVlS3tevU

This is where they were all foraging.

https://www.youtube....h?v=SgQ0iFmo6gA

They group up and climb at bases of hardwood trees.

https://www.youtube....h?v=IwazAFCKQ3k

https://www.youtube....h?v=gEG3EjUNF8U

https://www.youtube....h?v=rUyf0AsE_Vg

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

IHmsk4U.png

This is near Boston. Getting a high of 58 on Tues. might have some P. imparis foraging if so, but it looks like it will rain (~80% chance) a lot that day.

58% chance of snow on Saturday. I thought it was all over.  :(

Edited by Nathant2131, March 26 2017 - 9:00 AM.

#8 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 26 2017 - 3:05 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I just flew back from MD, and temps were up in the 70s yesterday, and was pretty disappointed I didn't see anything down there.

Looks like we have at least a few more weeks here before flights start with these temps.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 26 2017 - 3:17 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

By now this is just a game for me. I jinx myself every time I think conditions will get better.

If I had to guess, the nice weather will begin in late April. I hope Prenolepis imparis doesn't have a skinny flight window. (Or even fly at all, is that possible?) Really want them this year.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Just pulled my first batch of Lasius out of hibernation today as we approach April to join my Tetramorium.  Still have a bunch left in the fridge I'm not quite prepared for.  Also have an order of springtails to start culturing starting this week for some Myrmecina I caught last season.  See how that goes.

Looks like for loses during hibernation for me:

• P. imparis queen - test tube shifted so dried out, caught it too late. My own stupidity :(
  • Temnothorax - Between them being stubborn to move and several blunders on my part, the now lone queen finally passed.  Will be much better prepared this season for them.
  • C. americanus - She was an ejected Fall flyer, and found her with another Camponotus head with jaws closed affixed to her antenna... had a rough start. I tried supplementing her feeding a bit, but don't think it was enough unfortunately.
  • A couple Lasius queens I had caught this fall. 

See how the next few weeks goes as they start getting more active.

Can't believe April is Saturday.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:55 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Just pulled my first batch of Lasius out of hibernation today as we approach April to join my Tetramorium.  Still have a bunch left in the fridge I'm not quite prepared for.  Also have an order of springtails to start culturing starting this week for some Myrmecina I caught last season.  See how that goes.

Looks like for loses during hibernation for me:

• P. imparis queen - test tube shifted so dried out, caught it too late. My own stupidity :(
  • Temnothorax - Between them being stubborn to move and several blunders on my part, the now lone queen finally passed.  Will be much better prepared this season for them.
  • C. americanus - She was an ejected Fall flyer, and found her with another camponotus head with jaws closed affixed to her antenna... had a rough start. I tried supplementing her feeding a bit, but don't think it was enough unfortunately.
  • A couple Lasius queens I had caught this fall. 

See how the next few weeks goes as they start getting more active.

Can't believe April is Saturday.

Can't believe it either. March felt very quick to me. 

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:59 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

OUmsETh.png

gahh! 8 inches of snow on Friday night, and that relatively warm tuesday appears gone now.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 27 2017 - 4:00 PM.

• Martialis and thosaka like this

#13 Offline Cindy - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:15 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

OUmsETh.png

gahh! 8 inches of snow on Friday night, and that relatively warm tuesday appears gone now.

:'(

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:23 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Still too soon to call... they had us at 8-12 for Sun early last week too and we got some drizzle and poured today.  This time of year it's really tough for them to forecast snow reliably this far out due to the longer day light hours and higher overall temps.  Could go either way at this point :)  In any case it's warm enough this time of year it won't last too long. That 14" we got a couple weeks ago is already just about gone and that was with not a lot of warm days.

Edited by noebl1, March 27 2017 - 5:25 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#15 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:32 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Yeah don't mind me with my weather knowledge- 13 years olds usually don't care about the weather too much like adults do. Until now for me.
  • noebl1 likes this

#16 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:39 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Don't take it as an insult, someone in my family went to school for Meteorology, so get loads of feedback :D

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be looking back at these earlier posts and laugh as we're finally catching our first flights.  By end of April I was starting to find parasitic Lasius moving outdoors, so not too far away.

Edited by noebl1, March 27 2017 - 5:39 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#17 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 27 2017 - 5:42 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
No offense taken.

Excited for the Lasius Parasites to start invading- I'll have to collect a bunch.

#18 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 29 2017 - 12:53 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

P. imparis actively foraging today- However wouldn't be surprised if they were active for days now. I haven't been out in a while.

#19 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 2 2017 - 9:49 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Now that this storm is out of the way and 3-4" of heavy wet snow is quickly melting, betting we'll see some P. Imparis workers foraging this week.  Looking at the forecast, above freezing at least for the next 10 days and highs in the 50s and low 60s towards the end.  Guessing between the warmer temp and the heavy wet rain this week, pretty much all the snow will be gone by next weekend.  Then all we need is a couple 70F degree days :)

#20 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 9:53 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I saw this too!! It seems we have finally shook off the thirties and below in highs for this Spring. 

Despite the snow, I'm going to go outside soon to see how snow-resisitant these Winter Ants really are... :D

Edited by Nathant2131, April 4 2017 - 1:32 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users