• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How many queens will you catch starting now?

contest

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 19 2017 - 7:56 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

So, In North America, flights will be exploding pretty soon. Starting on this day, mark how many queens you catch, and of what species.

It's just a fun little contest, you don't have to participate. 

I just want to know how many queen ants someone could catch in one year. This contest ends January 1st 12:00 2018. 

It doesn't matter if you lie because it's not like there's a prize. I know Invicta will be a main species caught, but they will still count.

Good luck, it starts today on March 19th, 2017. Good luck to all! Tell us what you catch and when you catch it. 

• Nathant2131 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 19 2017 - 9:31 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

5 Solenopsis invicta today :)

YJK

#3 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 19 2017 - 9:32 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Starting today? Umm...we've been collecting for over a month now in SoCal.

#4 Offline Miles - Posted March 19 2017 - 9:43 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

In my opinion, the number of queens you catch is unimportant if they aren't receiving the best care possible. I hope that is taken into account here. Also, please be respectful of native populations. Some ant species are under stress and battling invasive species in their home ranges, so really extensive collection could be quite harmful.

Edited by Miles, March 19 2017 - 9:45 AM.

• LC3, Martialis and SoySauce like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline i2chip - Posted March 19 2017 - 12:24 PM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

In my opinion, the number of queens you catch is unimportant if they aren't receiving the best care possible. I hope that is taken into account here. Also, please be respectful of native populations. Some ant species are under stress and battling invasive species in their home ranges, so really extensive collection could be quite harmful.

Last year I caught about 200 Invicta queens just by sitting by my pool filter and preventing them from getting sucked in and also by checking the filter when I can and save the ones in there. I did end up releasing almost all of them though. It was a hassle placing all of those test tubes around in areas were they could build a wild nest and wouldn't be harmed and then collecting them the next day. But I did save those ants :)

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted March 19 2017 - 12:59 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

S.invicta is an invasive species. :|

• Martialis likes this

#7 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:14 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
You don't want to have too many queens. Each colony requires maintenance and space. Last year, it took me two hours to freshen up all my colonies. That's too many queens if you adk me.
  • Shareallicu and thosaka like this
~Dan

#8 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted March 19 2017 - 4:32 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Well i spend most of my day putting stepping stones on my backyard and saw noooothiiing!!!!!

It's just warming up now here on the Florida panhandle and last week we were wet and cold (2 days of rain, wind and average of 40°) so hopefully i will see some nuptial flights soon!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 19 2017 - 4:44 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

This is what I do with invicta. Try to attempt in Poloygyny. Fail? Ant food.

YJK

#10 Offline thosaka - Posted March 19 2017 - 5:29 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Hey Miles, I saw your videos on youtube, and saw your website on TAN and your organization. That is pretty cool you are inspiring many people, kids and adults alike. Congrats on winning 1st place in the competition. Cheers!

#11 Offline Miles - Posted March 19 2017 - 5:34 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Thanks, Tagassi! I appreciate your comments and support.

• thosaka likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline Goldsystem - Posted March 20 2017 - 11:34 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I'll catch whatever I find if it's interesting. I'll usually leave queens I don't want alone :)
  • Shareallicu likes this

#13 Offline Roachant - Posted March 27 2017 - 8:52 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I'll have to wait at least another month before I even see a worker outside, let alone any queens 😔.
But when I do I'll usually catch no more that 6 for each species if I see them in bulk. Of that 6 I give about two to a friend. I don't want to get overwhelmed .

Edited by Roachant, March 27 2017 - 8:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users