• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question: How to know how much we need to feed.

weaver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted January 30 2017 - 6:19 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi Everyday,

May i know how to check their food demand?

My friend have a colony with around 80 worker...now feeding 3-4 meal worm(small one) daily...how we know is that enough or no?

the colony is weaver ant

#2 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 30 2017 - 7:22 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

I'm sure the ants would start rejecting food offerings if they have enough. Most ant colonies have a desire to grow to mass proportions though.

I believe you can control your colony size simply with food restriction. It's all about observing and experimenting. :)

• Rattus and Martialis like this

#3 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted January 30 2017 - 10:25 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

i would like to make it fast grow...so i just feed as much as i can?

thx for advise ya

#4 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted January 30 2017 - 10:32 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

and another question.......if i put soil in my formicarium....will it cause fungus problem and made my ant die?

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:15 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You should cook the soil before you add it so there's no mites and stuff in it. If it's a good formicarium design and you don't swamp it there should not be any mold.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:23 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Also, keep your area clean. That includes cleaning your outworld and anything you use to feed your ants, e.g. tweezers

Edited by antgenius123, January 31 2017 - 12:23 PM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#7 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted January 31 2017 - 5:15 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

ok, noted with thank....yesterday i buy some cocopeat to put, to reduce the moitsure level, so far....consider good

#8 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:11 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Haiz.....my weaver ant queen died without reason.......

i assume it is die due to mold.

16406557_1380493378637574_4100322034896416487171_1380493425304236_5909219040857416387918_1380493435304235_30588945138687

#9 Online T.C. - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:21 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Could I see a picture of the whole setup you had them in? Weaver ants are a complicated species to keep, and you may not have been giving her a proper set up.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:31 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Could I see a picture of the whole setup you had them in? Weaver ants are a complicated species to keep, and you may not have been giving her a proper set up.

Please refer below picture,

***Right side have 2x3cm hole cover with net.

***Cover have 1x3cm hole.

16402465_1380504218636490_53877752905920

#11 Offline Kevin - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:48 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

If you raised the colony yourself there are a lot of possible reasons, but if the colony was captured it could be stress and incorrect care.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#12 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted February 2 2017 - 5:55 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

actually this is a wild colony....i caught 2 colony and 1 colony doing very well, 1 colony dying from 50 worker till 10 worker then queen die

If you raised the colony yourself there are a lot of possible reasons, but if the colony was captured it could be stress and incorrect care.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 3 2017 - 3:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You should feed a variety of natural foods and observe the ants' reaction.  Always discard uneaten food after 24 hours to avoid mold.

I'm sure the ants would start rejecting food offerings if they have enough. Most ant colonies have a desire to grow to mass proportions though.

I believe you can control your colony size simply with food restriction. It's all about observing and experimenting. :)

Some ants, in particular harvester ants, will generally continue to collect and hoard food inside the nest as long as it is made available.  Other species of ants are at times overeager foragers as a result of evolutionary predisposition to scavenging behavior.

i would like to make it fast grow...so i just feed as much as i can?

Each small worker ant has a social or community stomach, and food is exchanged among individuals constantly to form the macro-colony stomach.  Consequently, small colonies generally grow slowly, and large colonies can grow much more quickly.

The amount of food your colony requires will increase over time, and you may very well end up with an unmanageable number of ants if you are not careful.

and another question.......if i put soil in my formicarium....will it cause fungus problem and made my ant die?

Certainly any contaminants introduced into the formicarium, especially those found in soil, may result in problems for a captive colony.  With weaver ants, however, soil is probably important to grow the plants on which the ants nest, no?

You should cook the soil before you add it so there's no mites and stuff in it. If it's a good formicarium design and you don't swamp it there should not be any mold.

Probably a good idea with weaver ants.  Soil dwelling ants, especially those that prefer more moist soil, I might recommend not sterilizing, so that any microbes may be present to consume uneaten food particles, which might otherwise mold in sterilized soil.

• CrazyLegs likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#14 Offline vfreedom91 - Posted February 3 2017 - 6:56 PM

vfreedom91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

wow, your reply is very nice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users