• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is the tubing large enough?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2017 - 9:33 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

As far as I've  seen, you make great formicariums. My only worry is if the tubing is large enough for species like Camponotus, as the tubing is only 7/16" OD, versus the more commonly used 1/4" or 1/2" OD tubing.  Has the tubing been tested  with species their size?

• Shareallicu likes this
Spoiler

#2 Offline ParaStatic - Posted January 12 2017 - 9:36 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Yes it has been used by me for the last 4 years with camponotus pennsylvanicus and Camponotus noveboracensis.  The workers have zero issues walking past each other, or carrying items to and from the outworld.   I would say it is comparable to the inside of a 13mm test tube, where even a Camponotus queen can pass through easily.

Edited by ParaStatic, January 12 2017 - 9:38 AM.

• Martialis and Shareallicu like this
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users