• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Iridomyrmex colony/ies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 19 2016 - 5:51 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Guys and Gals,

Been a while since I posted due to exams and such, but now that I have found out I did very well this semester at university, I can now give more time to this hobby. I have a challenge for you all. It's called guess the number of pupae :o

I was concerned that my ants were not developing well. That was until I got a hold of a heating mat and stuck it under the box I keep them all in. Now they have exploded. I'm thinking I might keep the possible 2 distinct Iridomyrmex species I seem to have. The one pictured above is one colony I will be keeping. I have a bunch of others of this species at lesser states of development that I'll probably wind up selling to someone.

I'll keep everyone posted if there is any interest in Aussie ants B)

P.S. My guess is 5. Any advances?

Edited by dspdrew, November 19 2016 - 10:16 AM.
Corrected species spelling

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 19 2016 - 10:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

BTW, It's spelled Iridomyrmex. We don't normally correct people's spelling, but spellings of species names and other words specific to myrmecology are very important here. I already corrected them for you. :)

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 19 2016 - 11:52 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
I enjoy seeing Australian ants, so cool! Please keep us updated!!

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 19 2016 - 12:46 PM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Thanks Drew. I can't believe I misspelled it. I saw your feature on AntCanada YouTube. Very interesting.

I'll keep this updated as developments occur.

#5 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 21 2016 - 12:18 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I've got nanitics!!!!! Exciting time. I count 7 with a few more to come.

This is one of the other iridomyrmex queens I have (I got quite a few of them).  The babes are quite active considering I gave the queen a drop of honey last night. I'm going to have to catch a mozzie or something tonight to give to them. I just have to leave the deck light on to attract them.

Now that this queen has workers, are there any advances on iridomyrmex or does James still have it right?

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 21 2016 - 4:31 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

This is one of the other iridomyrmex queens I have (I got quite a few of them). The babes are quite active considering I gave the queen a drop of honey last night. I'm going to have to catch a mozzie or something tonight to give to them. I just have to leave the deck light on to attract them.

Now that this queen has workers, are there any advances on iridomyrmex or does James still have it right?

hey, I don't know what a mozzie is, (sorry, lol) but I'm assuming it's a kind of bug. They probably won't need protein until the queen lays and has larvae again, just take it slow, don't rush, and especially don't feed them live insects.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 21 2016 - 4:53 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

This is one of the other iridomyrmex queens I have (I got quite a few of them). The babes are quite active considering I gave the queen a drop of honey last night. I'm going to have to catch a mozzie or something tonight to give to them. I just have to leave the deck light on to attract them.

hey, I don't know what a mozzie is, (sorry, lol) but I'm assuming it's a kind of bug. They probably won't need protein until the queen lays and has larvae again, just take it slow, don't rush, and especially don't feed them live insects.

Mozzie is short for mosquito (sorry Drew, blame it on the Aussie in me lol). She has more eggs already, laid them before the pupae eclosed. You can see one of them just to the right of her upper middle leg. The pupae of one of the 2 winged queens have also now eclosed giving her 6 nanitics with more to come. So that gives me 2. Guess I'll have to give them a bit more honey now.

#8 Offline Leo - Posted November 21 2016 - 4:58 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

haha i have some friends that speak Australian slang

#9 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 21 2016 - 5:11 AM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

haha i have some friends that speak Australian slang

Yeah. Not many people believe that in Australia, you wear thongs on your feet :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users