• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Lakeville NY

new member new york lasius niger

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Kerensa - Posted September 15 2016 - 4:02 AM

Kerensa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello! 

I'm Kerensa and I live in Lakeville Ny,  which is on the north shore of Lake Conesus-  the most western of the finger lakes.  I am an artist and Anthropology student. 

I am new to the world of ant keeping-  very new-  so new in fact that I do not yet have any ants at all!!   I have done a good deal of research however and Although I don't feel 100% confident quite yet,  I'm going to have a look see and hope to find a queen or two.  I'm told that in this area its not yet too late.   I'm a bit torn on this.  In one way I'd rather wait till I'm quite confident and 100% sure I know exactly what to do-  and on the other hand I don't really want to have to wait a whole year, or even nearly one!  I don't have much hope as I'm fairly certain the mating flights are over,  but having been told that warm fall days are still an option I shall look.

I'm really quite sure that I want Lasius niger.  really.  honestly.  I have a whole host of reasons!   First is that they seem ideally suited to beginners.  From what the care sheets say they are quite forgiving of things that other species would find quite unacceptable from a new friend,  This is really good news because I'm sure to make some sort of dreadful well-meaning mistake.  Second is they are native to my area,  indeed to my very yard even!  I really do not want any sort that is not native to my area, even if they are already introduced.  No dreams of Fire ants, trap-jaw or soldier ants...  no need for my own ecological disaster waiting to happen...  even if I could find a source within New York.  Third is they are active and full of energy.  Watching them outside I'm quite jealous-  If only I had such energy.  and last but not least is they are beautiful. Part of that perception is they are very much what I see in my head when I think ant.  Many species I look at and they just don't inspire the same response.  

I'm looking forward to talking with people here.

K.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 15 2016 - 5:29 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Laius niger is present in North America, but it is by no mean common, except perhaps in the Rockies. You might be looking at one of our other niger-group Lasius, such as Lasius alienus, or perhaps Prenolepis, Nylanderia, or Formica. Don't fret, as our native, fully-claustral Lasius are just as charming and easy to keep as Lasius niger. Lasius neoniger is likely to have a couple more flights this September, possibly going [censored] late as October.

There will also be some social parasites flying. Lasius umbratus is a little tricky to get going, but they are not lacking in any of that Lasius "personality". You can find these in the woods -- most of them will overwinter before heading out in the spring to look for orphaned Lasius alienus workers. http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 15 2016 - 5:29 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member, new york, lasius niger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users