• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Austin, TX - July 16, 2016

worker

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 15 2016 - 10:59 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

1. Location of observation: Zilker Park, Austin, TX. 
2. Date of observation: July 15, 2016
3. Habitat of observation: in the grass of Zilker Park. There is a distinct trail in the grass that I've noticed every time I walk that section of the park and thought for sure it was ant related. Today I got close and noticed some activity and took photos.
4. Length: Largest were about 1 cm and smallest were about 3-4 mm.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: the majors are a matte, maroon/brown color with spines and bulbous heads and distinct long, shiny mandibles and the smallest workers are shiny with more of an orange hue without any noticeable spines. I didn't collect any for close observation as I was drenched in sweat post run.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: see above and photos
7. Anything else distinctive: Nothing per se. I've often wondered at the trail but never noticed any ants until I got real close today. There were only a couple ants near the nest opening and a couple hovering just inside the entrance. I think I dripped a little sweat right onto the hole trying to observe and photograph and that brought a few more out  :D .
8. Nest description: solitary hole in the ground with a single trail through the grass extending from the hole toward the nearby tree.

Browsing the web for a match I want to say that this is Atta texana:

Edited by Bryansant, July 15 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted July 16 2016 - 6:20 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Looks like you're correct!  Atta workers are pretty cool-looking, aren't they? :) They also tend to build distinctive mounds, although the flooding may have destroyed some of those.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 17 2016 - 8:55 AM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Thanks kellakk! Their nest is in a sprinkler fed area of the park which might also be why I've never seen the classic mound where the nest entrance is. There was another species in the same area so at first I thought there were three, but these small orange ants do fit the color profile of the smaller Atta workers. My eyes aren't that good and my camera definitely didn't capture enough detail for an accurate ID. Sometime I'll have to collect a couple...and get a DSLR!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: worker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users