• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Larvae in diapause

larvae pupae brood hibernation diapause

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 14 2016 - 3:30 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I am currently cooling a test tube of Lasius alienus workers and some of their eggs, larvae, and pupae for one week. I am doing this to introduce a parasitic Lasius umbratus queen to them. Will the brood survive this period of hibernation?

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 14 2016 - 4:05 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

following this. I have a nice sized Lasius Flavus colony without a queen. They take in brood from local colonies, hoping to give them a queen some day.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted May 15 2016 - 3:31 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I am currently cooling a test tube of Lasius alienus workers and some of their eggs, larvae, and pupae for one week. I am doing this to introduce a parasitic Lasius umbratus queen to them. Will the brood survive this period of hibernation?

Yes they should, although eggs might perish.... but larvae/pupae should be totally fine.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2016 - 8:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I heard larvae is the only brood that survives hibernation.

• LC3 likes this

#5 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 15 2016 - 2:42 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Thank you all for your responses!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: larvae, pupae, brood, hibernation, diapause

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users