• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphid related IDs

aphid aphid predators aphid mimic wasp parasitic wasp waxy larvae thing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LC3 - Posted May 13 2016 - 10:27 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Found one of those ladybug larvae with wax on them, I think they're a Scymnus sp. of some sort.

It's about 5mm and has white waxy tendrils that stick out of it. the head is not covered by the wax and has an orange colour.

IMG_1313_zps1kkxnqww.jpg

IMG_1314_zpsuqcqn3ui.jpg

IMG_1315_zps8b1pqktf.jpg

Not the best images sorry.

Whenever I see it hunt aphids, it grabs an appendage usually a limb of the aphid and procedes to hold onto it, the green aphid slowly shifts into a brownish colour. Just asking why does it do that? Is it being sucked dry? The exoskeletons of the aphids are left to sit there so I'm assuming that's what they do. I like to call these things "waxy alligators".

IMG_1318_zpsrvk9szpe.jpg

IMG_1319_zpssafrynjk.jpg

This thing is quite interesting, it's very quick and responsive. It also appears to be mimicking the aphids, or just so happens to look like one. I'm assuming it's also a sapsucker.

IMG_1317_zpsiwv9xrj7.jpg

IMG_1316_zps2pu20440.jpg

Last but not least these parasitic wasps. I'm pretty sure they're part of the genus Aphidius but I don't know the exact species.

Edited by LC3, May 13 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#2 Offline Kingjay - Posted May 21 2016 - 4:53 PM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
I have aphids in my garden.Do you use them as feeders or keep them as pets

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted May 21 2016 - 8:09 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I was planning to use them as feeders for Scymnus or any other ladybug larvae I found. Sadly their population went from 20 to 50+ to like 2. :|

So for now they're pets I guess. :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphid, aphid predators, aphid mimic, wasp, parasitic wasp, waxy larvae thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users