• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

WHATS THIS?! NEW PET!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 17 2014 - 11:53 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

LOOK AT MY POOCHIE (not the boy, the dog)! He's such a cutey.

1511622_10153703129825648_589784242_n.jp

His name is Scotty and he's a little West Highland Terrier and he's 14 weeks old.

So far crate training is going well, accidents are still happening but we've caught him every time and scolded him and made him go outside.

My only concern is, when I try to teach him demands like his name, or sit, he is way too easily distracted. (I never had a problem with my past dogs)

Also with leash training, he seems to do well in the house, he walks behind at a good pace, but as soon as we get outside he doesn't like to move especially across the road, any suggestions to get him motivated?

Also, I've been told that he's "too young" for obedience training but most web help says otherwise.

Any tips? 

• Jake likes this

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 17 2014 - 2:47 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Most terriers are easily distracted.  Especially when young. :D

When he does his business outside, tell him he is a good boy and praise him.  It seems to make the house training stick much faster.

Get him to associate his name with good things.  When he comes, give him a treat.  When young, even a piece of dog kibble seems to be a treat.  You can buy those rolls of rubbery dog food called Rollover and dice them up.  They freeze well and are top notch dog treats.   They are found at most grocery stores.  You may want to pick up a treat pouch to carry them with you.  (you can even stick test tubes in it when ant hunting)  :D

I like this guys training videos:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i-L3-gqWic&list=PL5DFFFB1AB1982302

To go into an actual obedience class, wait a few weeks.  Socializing him with other dogs is a good idea though.  The more strange animals, people, and situations you introduce him to now, the calmer and more stable he will be later.  Loud buses, elderly people, toddlers, other animals, etc.

Start on the basics.  Sit, lie down, stay.  And especially come.  Many terriers are known to be very independent, and to get a reliable "come" will take lots of training - but may save his life if he gets off leash in a dangerous situation.  Start inside, then outside, then bring in a distraction (be ready to tug on his leash to bring him back to attention).

Walking on a leash takes a few months to completely sink in.  If he lags, take out a treat and let him see it.  Tell him to come on and keep walking, he will probably follow swiftly.

Just wait, in a few weeks he will want to lead and try to pull you.  Not too bad in a dog his size, but I don't like any dog pulling.  To prevent a dog from pulling you forward, give a sharp tug and start walking backwards while pulling him behind behind your back - say "no, back up"  Or "no, too far".  I taught quite a few rescue dogs how to walk nicely within 10-15 min, but they were over 6 months old.  A puppy takes patience.

Around 4-6 months many dogs start to test the boundaries to see just how well they have to listen to you.  Typical teenager.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 18 2014 - 11:25 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

His walks are getting a little more confident. As long as I remember to be calm, and assertive and lead as the dominant "pack leader" he follows pretty okay. He refuses to jog with me though. His training is coming along okay, not nearly as fast as my dachshund and yorky who learned sit on the first day, maybe I'm expecting too much.

I've been using every opportunity on walks to socialize him with other dogs, he gets a little excited though and he's very cautious.

His potty training is going superb. He now paws at the back door to be let out when he needs to potty. I think pee pee is still hard for him to control but I usually make it to the door in time.

His barking at night has really quieted down at night, I go in, say "No!" and then push him down to a lying position and he stays quiet for the rest of the night.

I'll have to beware of the "teenager" phase because he's already pretty stubborn, especially when I tell him not to chew my mom's plants. We may have to invest in obedience classes if he is too stubborn to home train.

#4 Offline Jake - Posted January 18 2014 - 11:42 AM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Awww what a cute dog.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted January 19 2014 - 1:41 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Get something tasty that he is allowed him to chew.  Puppies can have bully sticks and tendon dental chews, they will also help with teething.  http://bullysticks.ca/ is where I get mine.  Avoid the rawhide, bones, antlers, pigs ears, etc until he is at least 6 months old.

My co-worker had one of those terriers, apparently they don't realize that they have to "go" until the last second.  It is always a good idea to take them out every couple hours just on principle when they are still learning.

There are "no-chew" sprays, but I find lemon juice or Tabasco sauce works pretty well for most dogs.

Watch for allergies in that breed. Every Westie but one I encountered had allergies.  Usually towards to corn or wheat.  Just watch for excessive scratching or shedding.  My mutt is on Acana as he has a slight allergy to corn that causes heavy shedding.

Westies are very independent, it will mostly take time and love - and lots and lots of patience.  Most dogs don't go to obedience classes until about 4-6 months old.  I took mine in at 4 months old just to help socialize and learn some training tricks (also because classes were only offered once a year in my remote area).  It takes them a month or so to get used to you and your expectations, especially a puppy.

They are so cute and fun when they are little. Enjoy it. :D

Here is Taz at 9 weeks (8lbs): http://i445.photobuc...zps777b3628.jpg

Here is Taz at 2 years (74lbs): http://i445.photobuc...zpsf2ba51d3.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#6 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 19 2014 - 7:22 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

He's on Acana, as recommended by the breeder but he doesn't seem to eat it at all, unless we put a little warm soup stock (water doesn't make it appetizing for him). We're thinking of switching him to a raw diet. His breeder also told us to still to raw bones (beef, pork, lamb) were good for him to chew on.

I always attributed his shedding to him starting to grow in his adult coat (usually will become a full mane at 6 months, says the breeder).

And I'll keep the training tips in mind and wait until he's more comfortable in the home.

Taz is so kyuuteeeee. I always wanted a big dog, I'm just sad that pitbulls are banned in Ontario. I really wanted an AmStaff.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted January 20 2014 - 7:13 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

A little trick I use to get mine to eat his dog food, get one of those marrowbone treats and grind it into a powder and sprinkle it on top of his food.

My dog prefers to wait in hopes that someone will provide table scraps.

Keep your Acana receipts, they have a buy 12, get the 13th free.  You usually have to buy them from the same store.

I prefer to leave dry food out at all times, and none of my dogs are food protective.  The downside of raw food is that it can go bad pretty quickly.  Mine often get fresh treats like bits of fruit and veggies such as banana and peas, or leftover meat scraps.

Acana has no fillers, so it doesn't take as much food to provide him with all he needs.  Mine only eats about a cup or two of dry kibble every day, and he is much bigger.

At that age, 5-10 min training sessions keep it fun without overdoing it.  Lots of treats, praises, and pets make learning things like sit and come fun for the dog.

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users