• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Can't Get to Their OutWorld

camponotus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tanks - Posted March 31 2023 - 4:34 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

I recently moved my small colony of Camponotus modoc to a mini hearth. Later I added a piece of cricket into their out world, but they weren't coming up. So I looked inside the nest portion and saw one worker trying to get to the out world but it kept falling and it did it a few more times then stopped. Is anyone having this problem with your mini hearth where the workers can't get to the out world portion?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 31 2023 - 4:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can remove the rubber tubing to give them a rougher surface to climb on. Yank it out with some needle nose pliers.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted April 1 2023 - 7:17 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

As ANTdrew says, the bit of vinyl tube can be pulled out to expose a potentially easier to grip surface.
However i have found that the pour material can set very smooth against the tube and leave a surface some ants still struggle to get grip on.

I have read some people sanding the material a little to make it rougher for the ants.

Some of my pogonomyrmex occidentalis had trouble getting out. I just put a broken off bbq skewer/toothpick down the hole and they use it.

post-7513-0-32813800-1677517550.jpg

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline Tanks - Posted April 3 2023 - 4:41 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

You can remove the rubber tubing to give them a rougher surface to climb on. Yank it out with some needle nose pliers.

Thanks for the help, I did it and it worked well they now are foraging a lot.

• ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users