• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lantros Tetramorium caespitum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lantro - Posted March 20 2023 - 8:26 AM

Lantro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi everybody, this journal will cover my colony Tetramorium caespitum.

My first colony and for a long while probably only colony. 

The colony and a small starterset from esthetic ants finally arrived.
They have 9 workers and a bit of tiny brood. There where no deaths during transport.

I fed them a fruit fly, a piece of sunflower seeds and a bit of jelly from the set. They took to the fly and seed almost immediatly but have ignored the jelly so far,

I currently keep them in our warm living room at around 23°C, to speed up their growth. I might add a small heating pad or cable to make it even warmer.

The Queen

IMG_6620.jpg

Aworker carrying their first meal in the new home

IMG_6618.jpg

The whole setup

IMG_6621.jpg

• ANTdrew, antsinvirgina, antsriondel and 1 other like this

#2 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted March 20 2023 - 9:16 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

I love your setup 

Best of luck!

• antsriondel and Lantro like this

#3 Offline antsriondel - Posted March 20 2023 - 10:03 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Wow I used the same setup a few months ago and it was awesome! eventually the colony got too big and I decided to move them. Hope your colony does well!  (y)

Edited by antsriondel, March 20 2023 - 10:04 AM.

• antsinvirgina and Lantro like this

#4 Offline Lantro - Posted March 31 2023 - 10:13 AM

Lantro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Good news:

The queen has laid a few eggs, I could count around 3-4 eggs. Maybe more.
Otherwise the colony has been realy laid back, rarely venturing out during the day.  But the fruitlfy was a massive meal for this tiny colony.
I offer them fresh sugar water/jelly every 3-4 days but they haven´t shown massive interest in that, sometimes in the evening there is a worker sipping a bit but not much.

• Ernteameise likes this

#5 Offline Lantro - Posted June 13 2023 - 11:56 AM

Lantro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Time for the next update:

I had to move the colony out of the mini outworld. They realy panicked every time I opened the set up to feed them.IMG_7386.jpg
For now they live in a 160x16mm testtube with a cotton/drinking straw devider. Since then they have really calmed down and have been growing alot better. The warm weather probably helped too.

They have a big pile of small/medium larvea, a pile of eggs and a few large larvea that should be pupating in the next few days.IMG_7385.jpg
Feeding wise they are not very picky, they get 2-3 freshly squashed fruit flies every few days. They absolutly go mad for crumbs of tuck crackers.
If the nice weather continues they should have a filled up the little chamber fairly soon.

So far its been fun keeping them, can´t wait to give them an actual outworld and watch them forage.
I´ve been spending a lot of time browsing a bunch of antshops figuring out their future setup.

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

#6 Offline Lantro - Posted July 4 2023 - 12:06 PM

Lantro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I´m an ant dad.
Today while feeding them I noticed a very pale worker walking around. And a few more should follow in the next few days.

Here she is.  :D
InkedIMG_7557.jpg

They are a joy to keep, eating anything I give to them. So far mainly fruitflies and miscellaneous crumbs/seeds.
They aren´t the biggest fan of sweet liqiuds but Ill continue to offer sugar water.

Judging by the amount of brood they have I´ll have to expand their setup before winter.

• ANTdrew and BleepingBleepers like this

#7 Offline Lantro - Posted September 1 2023 - 9:25 AM

Lantro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Its time for an Update:

First: I moved the colony again since the cotton in the old testtube got really grimy and disgusting. They now occupy a 20x200mm with a small divider made from cork.

The brood pile is absolutly massive and their are eating lots. But sadly mostly at night or when I´m at work.
So far I´ve mainly fed them fruitflys and foodmoths + sugar water or any small crumbs I have laying around.

new nest.jpg

Now that Christmas is slowly coming nearer I'm planning their setup for next year, I was thinking about going with a small Ytong Nest from esthetic ants with a medium outworld.
But I'm open for suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users