• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which ants are dinosaur ants?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsUnited - Posted March 16 2023 - 5:59 PM

AntsUnited

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

So people call Dinomyrmex ants dinosaur ants (Actually called Giant Forest Ants), but then Nothomyrmex are officially called dinosaur ants as their common name (and Fossil Ants), I've seen people call Diacamma ants dinosaur ants (Bornean Queenless Ant), then other people call Dinoponera ants (Giant Ants) dinosaur ants. Which one is actually a dinosaur ant? 

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted March 16 2023 - 6:35 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I think common names are a bit daft if it isn't based on what the scientific name is due to this exact reason. However, the Australian government calls Nothomyrmecia macrops as "Dinosaur Ant" here. In my opinion, if a common name is used in literature then that should be the common name, but with time things change such as Solenopsis xyloni original description stating the common name as "cotton-ant" ("xyloni" meaning cotton) and now places such as Inaturalist calls them "Southwestern Fire Ants" despite no one calling them that.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 17 2023 - 4:44 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah nothomyrmecia macrops is the dinosaur ant.
  • FinWins likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users